Author Topic: 3 way camper refrigerator  (Read 14914 times)

Offline JoeCamper

• The Mayor
  • Right At Home
    • View Profile
  • State: PA/USA
  • TV: Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup
  • POP: 12' Coleman Avalon
3 way camper refrigerator
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
The 3 way fridge is one of the most popular choices for use as a camping refrigerator and there has been questions about how a 3 way refrigerator work so I thought I'd post something to help explain.

The ‘3 Way’ in the title relates to the 3 different power sources these small portable fridge freezers can operate on. Usually they can be powered by any of the following:
1) 120v AC (Standard Electric)
2) LSP (Liquid Propane Gas)
3) 12v DC (Battery)

1) A regular power outlet for powering a 3 way camping fridge is very useful. This is the same power source a standard in house refrigerator uses. By liberating the operator from the restrictions of their car battery, they can run the fridge full time. Of course, the related drawback is that mains power is not always available everywhere you might want to run your 3 way refrigerator.

2) A second option is the use of LPG gas.  Having this final power source available lets a three way fridge owner fill in the gaps when electricity to power the refrigerator is not available.  Running the camping fridge off gas does, of course, require that the owner keep a supply of gas on hand.

3) The third option can be powered using 12V DC, such as that found within a car battery.  As when powering a car fridge, limited battery life is a drawback.  If you operate the 3 way refrigerator too long without the car running, you can run down your starter battery leaving you stranded.

Some things to keep in mind when using on of these refrigerators:
First, we will assume the refrigerator is not defective in some way.  It should make no difference which heat source is used.  It's just heat.  Be it one of the 110V or 12V electric heaters or a propane flame.

Second, the refrigerator must be level to operate efficiently.  If it is not level the liquid in the system can pool and restrict or even block circulation.  Damage to the system can result if operated off level for an extended period of time.  While traveling level does not matter because the liquids are "sloshing around" and do not get a chance to pool.

Next, The units do take time to cool when started.  The normal rate of cooling is about 3 - 6 degrees per hour.  These refrigerators are prone to warm and cold areas. A small battery fan placed inside the refrigerator box helps to move air around and keep a constant temperature.  You must pre cool the refrigerator andit may take up to 24 hours to get down to it's working temperature.

Try to load it with pre cooled items. Placing something like a warm 6 pack of soda will delay cooling of everything inside.

Probably the best known manufacturer of 3 way camping fridges is Dometic; so if these devices sound like something you might want to buy, you might start with their model line.  Another well known manufacturer is Waeco refrigeration – a subsidiary of Dometic. Also worth considering are Norcold and Engel.
:cowboy: JoeCamper 71', :kiss: EwwwBugs 81' :cheerleader: DD 97', +3 :) :) :), :dog: Geri 10' :dog: Abby 11'
Do you smell something burning?"
The Mayor!

Offline BigDawgGang

• Going in the Woods
    • View Profile
  • State: PA/USA
  • TV: 2010 Ford F-150
  • POP: 2009 Fleetwood Sun Valley
Re: 3 way camper refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
They do take a while to cool.  I keep to 2 litter bottles of ice in the freezer at home and put them in the camper fridge to help with the cooling process if I forget to turn it on the day before we leave.
Andy & Kelly   Kyle    Bryce  Oscar   Cesar
:cheers:        :baseballhat:      :camperkid:    :dog:   :dog:

Offline ridenred333

• Enjoying the View
    • View Profile
  • State: AL/USA
  • TV: 2004 Ford F250
  • POP: 1999 Coleman Niagara
Re: 3 way camper refrigerator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »
Bigdawg I always turn my on the day before I use it.  However here lately I usually just us a cooler.  The only time I end up using the frig is if there is leftover on a plate then I will stick it in the frig.

Recent Topics

Christmas Elf Dilemma HELP!!
by IA Poppers
[Yesterday at 08:30:25 PM]
weight distribution
by IA Poppers
[Yesterday at 08:25:31 PM]
Quarintine article. For berks county
by Vagov
[Yesterday at 07:02:35 PM]
Into our "7th" year full time camping...
by beemerchef
[Yesterday at 05:17:38 PM]
Lehigh Valley RV Show & Dinner -January 10, 2014
by saintpaula
[December 16, 2014, 02:00:28 PM]
Where are ya? A Members Map
by Dan.W3TWO
[December 14, 2014, 10:09:19 PM]
Santa came early
by GA Judy
[December 14, 2014, 10:08:25 PM]
Yummy. ...i hope?