Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Camp Taylor, NJ Lakota Wolf Preserve, May 2012
420 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 8:53 am
Print

Phil, I would make an appointment to get the right side caliper, pads, and hose replaced and get a brake fluid flush, with all that heat, you probably boiled the brake fluid. Some was replaced when they changed the caliper and hose that went bad, but it wasn't probably all flushed. Better safe than sorry.

Best Regards,
Norm

1573 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 9:16 am
Print

[quote author=acenorm link=topic=1239.msg13699#msg13699 date=1337604784]
Phil, I would make an appointment to get the right side caliper, pads, and hose replaced and get a brake fluid flush, with all that heat, you probably boiled the brake fluid. Some was replaced when they changed the caliper and hose that went bad, but it wasn't probably all flushed.

We had just had the Pads/rotors replaced all the way around about 6 months ago, and we had the right side "freeze" up while we had the tires replaced about a month ago, so they replaced the right side caliper then.

I am going to replace all the fluid this weekend.

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
138 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 10:40 am
Print

Another great weekend, even though it was a little late.  OK, here's what happened to us.  As DW (EileanT) posted, my lower radiator hose split around the hose clamp in the middle of nowhere on I-81 in central PA.  We pulled off at US 209 and diagnosed the problem.  I just cut the hose behind where it split and put it back on.  I was supposed to cut it while still on the car, split the damaged area, and pull it off without losing too much (more) coolant.  Unfortunately everything was covered in coolant and very slippery so I dropped the hose and all the coolant ran out of the engine. The repair worked perfectly, except that we lost so much coolant that we didn't have enough to keep the engine cool.  Eilean checked her new Razr phone and said that the next exit was about 5 miles away and there was a campground there.  I figured we could at least get water there so I headed for the next exit.  We would go about 1/4 mile, the temp. gauge would hit red, I'd kill the engine and then coast to a stop.  We'd get about 1/2 mile each run, with about 10 minutes in between.  Did I mention all this was happening on what turned out to be a 7 mile upgrade? During one of the stops, Camp Taylor called and said the registration desk was closing in 10 minutes.  Great.  We decided to stop at whatever campground was at the next exit.  So halfway down the winding 8% grade into the campground I had to shut off the engine again and bring it in without downshifting and without the power brake booster or trailer brakes.  Turns out spending all the previous weekend rebuilding the brakes on my car was definitely worth it.  We ended up at the the Camp-A-While Campground in Hegins, PA.  Very nice little camp.  We're going to go back soon, in fact. Here's the website http://www.campawhilepa.com if you're interested.  Lots of wineries nearby and not too far from Hershey and Lancaster County.  The only caveat is that it's on the route to a Wal Mart warehouse and there are trucks coming up and down the hill at night, but the stream that runs between the campsites is nearly as loud.  We got some water and took off again around 9:30 Saturday morning and got to Camp Taylor around noon.  BTW, thanks to Storm Trooper who gave us some cash to go see the wolves, since we never got to stop at an ATM like we were going to.

1573 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 11:15 am
Print

[quote author=vik-king link=topic=1239.msg13696#msg13696 date=1337599271]
[color=red]To sum it all up, my son has not stopped posting to all his friends how great a weekend he had with his dad and the new camper. Absolutely priceless! 🙂

And at his age, they generally don't even like to associate with their parents, so you are setting up a great example with lots of true adventures that will be remembered and hopefully passed on.

Having 3 kids and 2 grandkids, we are very experienced with the "You have no idea whats its like" age or the "Roll their eyes" stage and camping goes a long way to fix that. Especially when they are allowed to bring along a friend. (put them in their own tent next to your trailer).

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
666 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 11:53 am
Print

This was definitely an interesting weekend for a few of us.
We had planned to arrive early on Thurs to do some sightseeing in the Water gap area.
That changed last week when in youngest DD announced she had an internship at the National Aviary in Pittsburgh.
Well, the campground was at least on the way. We dropped the camper on Thurs. saw the wolves quickly and then we were off to Pittsburgh to find her an apartment for the summer. What a great city Pittsburgh appears to be. We were very impressed. Found DD an apartment and left late Friday evening.
Didn't get all the way back to the campground and took a motel for the evening. Got back to the CG around 1 ish on Sat.
And we had to leave early on Sun as we had a 5 hr drive ahead of us to another CG for my DW to stay through Memorial Day while I head back to work.
I wish we had more time to meet everyone there. Saw a bunch of old friends and made a few new ones.
I hope canvascampers does a rally again in this area next year.
Thanks to everyone who put this rally together. Maybe next year we'll have a little more time there.

21 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 3:05 pm
Print

Well Matt (BreadBox) already posted about our interesting car issues... I just wanted to thank each and every one of you... This weekend was my 41st Birthday trip (May 22 is the Actual date) and this was BY FAR, one of the best birthdays I have ever had. Last year I was in a world of hurt on a friend's sofa trying not to cry and this year I was smiling so much my face hurt (REALLY!) I had a wonderful time (a little scary on that hill in the wolf area on my wheelchair but hey... I lived!) I got some amazing pictures, made some wonderful friends, sang in public!  😮 Tried a few new drinks and jello shots (never had one before this weekend... HONEST!) So to sum it all up...

[size=36pt]THANK YOU ALL!!!! FOR MY BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!![/size]

2545 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 8:25 pm
Print

Matt, Eilean,  Wow  😮  In my mind I thought you had blown the hose at home and were going to repair it in your driveway before heading to the campground.  I had a hose blow on a company car one time and it was a mess.  Thankfully I was delivering auto parts and it happened at a garage  8) 

I can't Imagine having a hose blow or brakes fail in the middle of a trip.  I am sure it is very stressful.  I am glad that you are all home safe and with no major damage.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

138 Posts
(Offline)
May 22, 2012 - 2:10 pm
Print

Actually the stressful part was the previous 3 weeks when I tried to get my car to the point where it would tow the trailer again.  We apparently have too much tongue weight for Eilean's car and bent some sheetmetal coming back from Kentucky last month, so her car is out for towing until I can get it repaired and reinforced.  That left mine, which, when we left for Kentucky, had a bad water pump, a broken exhaust, and no brakes to speak of.  I replaced the water pump and found that the increased coolant pressure opened up a hole in the radiator.  Once that was fixed I developed a HUGE oil leak from the head.  Overheating from the coolant problems caused the camshaft seal to fail, nearly starting a fire.  It took me two weeks to clear all that up which left one weekend for replacing the master cylinder, 2 brake discs, one caliper, both front struts and all the brake pads.  I managed to get the exhaust welded while at work the day before we left.  We already had a coolant leak between the new water pump and the heater line, but it was small and I didn't have time to take the water pump back off, so that's what I thought the burning coolant smell was from until the problem became a lot worse.  I think that the hose was already split and taking off the old water pump finished it off.  I was expecting some sort of disaster, towing a 2000 lb. trailer through the Poconos with a car that has more than 300,000 miles on its 110 hp engine, so it wasn't really that big of a shock.  I was just happy it was something repairable.  I fully stand behind the durability, if not the reliability, of old Volvos.

1 ... 45678
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0