Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Thanksgiving Northeast Season Closer Rally, PA 2016
550 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2016 - 8:27 am
Print

Joe and I are planning on doing a road bike ride on Saturday. We're looking at between a 18-30 mile ride, depending on who wants to join us.  Not sure yet if we will be leaving from the campground, or driving down to Gettysburg and riding the Battlefield. 

Is anyone interested in riding with us? If so, let me know so that I can figure out the appropriate number of miles and elevation.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2016 - 8:40 am
Print

Chacon87- yes, usually we pass the hat to cover the cost of the firewood, gathering site, Turkey's, oil to deep fry it, and a few other things I can't recall.  This rally does cost a few dollars to run.  The cost is usually somewhere around $20-$25 per site.  Joe has the Turkey's, I don't know about the oil.  I know he was calling some people we have used in the past for firewood but I don't know what that status/cost is.  He'll probably know later today or Thursday what the total amount is divided by the number of sites.

mtnbikers- I'd love to go with you but I'll have Nathan and the most he has done is 7 miles in 1 hour and he was beat.  If you need me to drive you somewhere you guys can take off and do your ride while Nathan and I do our thing stopping to look at this or that, hey Dad look at this cool trick... he was trying to pop a wheelie a week after he learned to ride his bike just pulling up on the handlebars  :baseballhat:  Biking with a 7yo is very different from doing the MS ride. 

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

85 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2016 - 9:11 am
Print

Thanks for the info. I can get oil if needed but need to know what I am looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2545 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2016 - 10:56 am
Print

Over the years the choice of oil has changed.  Most Turkey's in the past were deep fried in Peanut oil.  I remember a conversation with Phil a few years ago and he advised Canola oil is cheaper and a different smoke point, when oil is too hot and burns and makes the turkey taste bad.  I believe Joe uses Canola oil now.  I know I use Canola oil for my Turkey.  Depending on the fryer it takes 3 to 5 gallons of oil to fry a turkey and costs about $50-$60.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

85 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2016 - 12:42 pm
Print

I will see what I can get and let you know. Thanks.

85 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2016 - 7:06 pm
Print

OK we bought five 5-quart bottles of Canola oil.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2016 - 6:01 pm
Print

Of course "stuff" hits the fan the day before I take off to go camping  >:(  Looks like I'll be doing a lot of email checking tonight and tomorrow.

232 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2016 - 9:46 pm
Print

Us too Lone Lock -UGHHHH -so we only booked for sat, which is a good thing cause too bogged down with work to make it tomorrow  : (    and  doing deviled eggs & corn muffins - we are site 136 -for sat-hopefully  we'll get up there early

232 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2016 - 9:50 pm
Print

ooops - actually we are site  135 - someone else has 136 (which I had tried for first) not sure if it's anyone from our group?

2545 Posts
(Offline)
November 4, 2016 - 10:51 am
Print

So far work is quiet  :goodstuff:

I did my food shopping and I will be bringing Noodles with Alfredo sauce or white Mac-n-cheese if your kids won't eat Alfredo sauce  :chef:

We will have those tin foil trays and sternos that caterers use to keep the food hot.  We have found in the past that this is better than crock pots for this rally because there are sooooo many crock pots that we keep blowing the breakers.  We will hand the trays out Friday or Saturday.  ALSO, please bring a serving utensil.  2 would be better so we can run 2 sides of the buffet table. 

What else ???  Oh, my kid is allergic to peanuts so please let me know if you are serving peanut stuff so I can keep him away from it.  Joe is bringing a projector so bring your favorite movies for the kids. 

1573 Posts
(Offline)
November 4, 2016 - 7:23 pm
Print

I will bring a bunch of extra frames and sternos.

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
827 Posts
(Offline)
November 6, 2016 - 12:18 pm
Print

Thanks everyone for all the yummy food!  Delish as always!  While we didn't camp, due to Bobby's football schedule, it was so nice to drop in and visit with everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

236 Posts
(Offline)
November 6, 2016 - 1:42 pm
Print

It was really great to see everyone again.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2