(Offline)
September 10, 2013 - 5:30 pm
Print

Christine and I are in site 150 Thursday to Sunday

827 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2013 - 9:45 pm
Print

Bob and Lois (our parents) are on site [s]125[/s], 124.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 11, 2013 - 4:23 pm
Print

I'd like to thank thingette 1s sister and vik-king for coordinating this rally for us.  They will be updating the thread, answering questions and helping with planning things. THANKS!

382 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 9:30 am
Print

If you are planning to attend this rally Better book this one early, There is only one full service site left at the point, there are however plenty of other electric sites left. Just think it's only 11 months away !!!!

420 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 11:21 am
Print

Booked Site 132, 2 Adults 3 Children (7, 5, 1)

Best Regards,
Norm

36 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 5:52 pm
Print

Hello all, I just found the forum through popup explorer and this is my first post. This rally seems like a good time and promised land is only about 2 hrs from me. Do any of you guys/gals have any more info about this weekend?

Thanks

701 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 7:34 pm
Print

Just made the jump to site 116 Fri-Sun. looking forward as this pace looks great.

382 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 8:19 pm
Print

Dualsporter

Let me be the first to welcome you to the canvass. So glad you found us.
Having attended five rally's with canvass campers in the last year I can say its a great way go camping met new people many like yourself that enjoy the outdoors and make lots of new friends.
As far as this campground goes I was there with canvasscampers this past spring and all I can say is wow all of the facilities have been upgraded built brand new at pickerel point. The showers, bathrooms and dish washing stations were totally awsome, large and super clean. There are three large amenity buildings on th point itself the campsites are fairly large many are secluded by woods and somewhat level.  The area we will be in is a peninsula surrounded by a beautiful lake on both sides with nice rustic views of scenic landscape and wildlife. The lake is accessible at the end of the peninsula with a  white sandy beach that my son and I fished from. The lake gets stocked every year. If you enjoy kayaking like many of our members do you will enjoy it here. There is a neat little country store that's about 1 mile outside the park for forgotten supplies or even an egg sandwich for breakfast if you don't feel like cooking.  I must say there prices are very friendly they carry candy bars to lanterns to fishing poles.Speaking of food it's a tradition on our rallies including this one to have a pot luck dinner at a gathering site (each site contributes a    dish or desert or even just condiments if your not a great cook)  there is never a shortage of food and we make sure even non forum members in our vicinity eat including the park rangers if they happen by. we all usually chip in or donate fire wood for an evening group campfire where we all get to gather around introduce our selfs and tell great stories weather camping related or not.
There is a lot to do in the area around promise land state park, like hiking, and antique and craft shopping. It is located about ten miles from tafton pike county Pa and not so far from lake wallenpaupack. I went to sleep away camp in this area for ten years when I was a kid.
    If you just like to take it easy and hangout at the camp ground a lot of time we hold group activities like,bocci ball,corn hole ,volley ball or frisbee. As you can see from the board on the first page everyone is welcome come solo, with family  or with a friend.
    If your still interested in this rally I recommend booking your site on the pa state web site with out delay this rally will probably sell out its a very desirable location in August that's why we are booking it a year ahead of time. Hope this answers any questions you have.
If I could be of any further assistance regarding this rally our anything on the forum don't hesitate to message me, Jonathan

36 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 8:29 pm
Print

Jonathan, Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply. It really sounds like a fun weekend.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2013 - 10:51 pm
Print

dualsporter,

Welcome to CanvasCampers!  To add a little to Vik-king's post about the group rallies in general, here how most of them go.  We plan about one each month from March through November in the Mid-Atlantic region. (Yes, I said March)  We feel people out for ideas (locations and dates) and start a thread here under the rally section of the site.  (main menu) Everyone books there own sites, post the information on the thread and the two coordinators keep updating the beginning of the thread while answering questions.

We normally plan two things for the weekend.  A 'meet-n-greet' campfire Friday evening and a potluck dinner Saturday evening.  Both are optional.  The Friday is nice because everyone arrives at different times and after the long drive and setting up, it's nice to bring a chair over and relax by a fire.  We will start to talk about the potluck about a month prior to the rally and most people mention what they are bringing.

The two people coordinating (wagon masters) the rally often post information as time goes on about activities at the park/campground and also local in the community to help for a better trip. Some information may include boat rental, hiking trails, local winery or flea market, etc.

Similar to joining the site, the group rallies are free.  There are a few very large rallies each year (always March and November) that we book a separate group site since there are so many people and we also have a truck load or two of firewood delivered since it's cooler.  We let everyone know in advance and take a donation of $5 or $10 per site to cover the costs.

Here are photos from this campground from this past April's group rally.
https://canvascampers.com/inde.....bum;in=259

I'm done rambling and I hope it was helpful.

36 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2013 - 9:04 pm
Print

Thanks for the info JoeCamper. It really sounds like a good time. For the next season or two my time for camping will be minimal and most likely kept to 3 or 4 trips per year like it has been the last 3 seasons. I hope I can make it out to one of the rallies. I'm going to talk to the DW about this one.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 20, 2013 - 3:11 pm
Print

I booked site 160. 2 adults 1 k9

September 20, 2013 - 5:13 pm
Print

The dates fall in the time period that we usually take our 2 week trip...  Since I don't have anything planned yet, I'll mark the Calendar and see how it fits in once I get my 2014 work sked. 

827 Posts
(Offline)
September 20, 2013 - 7:33 pm
Print

Hope it works out.  If not, have fun wherever you do go!

1573 Posts
(Offline)
September 22, 2013 - 6:22 pm
Print

Phil and Pete are in Site 125

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
36 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 9:35 am
Print

Does anyone know if there are any permits or registration required to use a canoe in a pa state park?

445 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 9:54 am
Print

For kayaks, I believe you need a launching permit which can be purchased online or at the park office, (maybe $10?). Not sure about canoes, but I would guess they would be the same.

236 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 11:06 am
Print

Yep canoes are the same

36 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 11:46 am
Print

Thanks for the info.  🙂

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 12:21 pm
Print

$10 for 1 year or $18 for 2 year sticker.  Available at the state park rangers station.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2