Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Watkins Glen Attractions - The Gorge
Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
February 4, 2018 - 8:16 am
Print

Watkins Glen SP Gorge is famous with a reputation for leaving visitors spellbound. Within two miles, the glen's stream descends 400 feet past 200-foot cliffs, generating 19 waterfalls along its course. The gorge path winds over and under waterfalls and through the spray of Cavern Cascade. Rim trails overlook the gorge.

There are several options to visit:

1) You can access the gorge directly from the campground via a walking path.

2) There is parking and trail access from the swimming pool area at the entrance to the campground.

3) You can park at the bottom of the falls and hike up and walk back down. (2.4 miles total)

4) You can park at the bottom and take a shuttle to the top parking lot.  All downhill walk.

Even though there are 400 steps (guessing), this is a pretty comfortable and leisurely walk with simply amazing views.  My wife and I walked it 2 years and look forward experiencing it again.

Image Enlarger

701 Posts
(Offline)
February 4, 2018 - 12:08 pm
Print

The shuttle bus only runs on the weekends. It is $5 per person. I personally have never tried to walk back up.One person could ride the bus and return with a car. To park at the bottom is $8 if there's space and your camping pass may let you park. Will be checking on that so more later.The new visitor center should be open when we get there. 

There are sites available from Friday 15th until Thursday 21st . Plus a ton of non electric sites with a lax generator policy.

445 Posts
(Offline)
February 4, 2018 - 4:52 pm
Print

We did the whole hike up & down with our boys when they were 11 & 15. It's a lot of steps going up, but plenty of scenic places to stop, take photos, & catch your breath, if needed. The scenery is impressive.  

5 Posts
(Offline)
February 5, 2018 - 3:06 am
Print

When we stayed there a few years back, We started off at the bottom and walked about a third of the Gorge at a time, did 1/3 every other day until we were done..  I even re-did part of the middle section a second time, did the lower trail with DW and then did the upper trail with the dog.  Even stopped off and checked out the cemetery that is right beside the upper trail .  

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2