Skip to content
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Selling Big Ugly....1994 Ford Van. Looking for advice.
2545 Posts
(Offline)
July 5, 2012 - 10:54 pm
Print

[Image Can Not Be Found]

I am selling my van and would like your advice on how the ad should appear on craigslist.  What I should add or what I shouldn't put in......or if you are interested, PM me  😉

Big Ugly is a Full Size Ford Clubwagon E150 van.  My Dad bought it in 2000 and we used it to go to flea markets and to haul big items every now and then.  I inherited it from my Dad when he passed away 2 1/2 years ago and kept it to help emptying out his storage units, my Mom's house, helping to move my mom, helping me move, and in the meantime I took it on a few camping trips.  All of that is done now and it has come time to sell it.  There are no more events that justify keeping it around.  Actually it now needs Ball Joints and we can't justify fixing it.  If it didn't need a repair, I'd keep it forever.  It is only costing me $250 per year in insurance  :goodstuff:

So I have been cleaning it out, washed it, compounded it and I am getting ready to put it on craigslist for sale.  Honestly, I hate to see "1994 Ford Clubwagon $2,500" and thats it.  But what do I need to put in?  I also plan on making a video of it to show it in detail.  I still plan on putting a coat of wax on it and carpet cleaning it. 

I know, the first thing is to not refer to it as "Big Ugly".....My wife doesn't like the van and one day said the reason she doesn't like it is because it was ugly and big.  When I first got it it hadn't had a bath in about 5 years, had flea market stickers all over the windows, and was filled with "stuff".  That is how it got its name "Big Ugly".

So I was thinking of something like:

1994 Ford Clubwagon Full Size E150 van.  $2,500.  125,000 miles.  Needs Ball Joints.  Great for use as a work truck and still looks good enough to drive family around in it.

Seats 8 with large cargo area.  5.0 motor, AC, Rear Heat, Cruise Control, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Mirrors.  Recent Repairs within the past 2 years= Radiator, Hoses, Thermostat, fan belt, front brake pads, tailpipe.  Transmission flushed 2 years ago. 

I inherited the van from my Dad.  We have had it for 12 years and have only put 40,000 miles on it during that time.  We used it to go to flea markets, auctions and the occasional trip here or there.  We added a leaf spring to the rear so that it wouldn't sag when there was a load in the back.  We have Contractors Roof Racks for it (not currently attached) for an additional $50.

We have used it like a truck but we have not destroyed it.  It has 18 years worth of minor scratches and dings, and minor surface rust in the rain channel.... but your family won't be embarrassed to ride in it.  We kept the 2 back seats in storage for years and had plywood protecting the carpet.  Since I inherited it I put the seats back in and use it to pull my popup trailer (1,500#'s) when I take my family camping about once a month. 

My brother took it to Louisiana for a church trip last January and got 14mpg on the highway.  On that same trip he put an adapter tape in the tapedeck to use his MP3 player and it will not come out.  I didn't want to damage the radio pulling it out and i rarely use the van so I just use my iPod.  Feel free to use your own iPod or bust the tape out after you buy the van. 

It does need new Ball Joints.  The last time it was in the shop for an oil change they said I would need them eventually.  This has been an extra vehicle in my family used occasionally for the last 12 years.  We don't see a need to keep it anymore so we are selling it. 

Please, no lowball offers.  It can sit in my driveway until it sells.  Please email v-a-n-f-o-r-s-a-l-e-1-9-9-4-@-v-e-r-i-z-o-n-.-n-e-t without the "-" dashes.   

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

600 Posts
(Offline)
July 6, 2012 - 2:15 am
Print

honest opinion? shorten it up a bit with just the neccessary info.  like this;

1994 Ford Clubwagon Full Size E150 van.  $2,500.  125,000 miles.  Needs Ball Joints.  Great for use as a work truck and still looks good enough to drive family around in it.

Seats 8 with large cargo area.  5.0 motor, AC, Rear Heat, Cruise Control, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Mirrors. 
Has Towing receiver hitch (brake controller?)

Recent Repairs: Radiator, Hoses, Thermostat, fan belt, front brake pads, tailpipe.  Transmission flushed 2 years ago. 

We added a leaf spring to the rear, GREAT FOR TOWING ! (put max tow weight here)

It does need new Ball Joints.  The last time it was in the shop for an oil change they said I would need them eventually. 

Contractors Roof Racks (not currently attached) available for an additional $50

This is a strong work vehicle, tow vehicle, or family vehicle.

Please, no lowball offers.  It can sit in my driveway until it sells.  Please email v-a-n-f-o-r-s-a-l-e-1-9-9-4-@-v-e-r-i-z-o-n-.-n-e-t without the "-" dashes. 

349 Posts
(Offline)
July 6, 2012 - 7:17 am
Print

I agree with 01YZF6. Put all pertinent info in the ad but you don't need to include how you got it.

You can probably expect some price haggling. From a quick look at Kelly Blue Book you're a little over average price.

Overall, if you keep the ad to the facts: what it is, how is it equipped, what the current condition is and what it needs, and keep your price expectations reasonable, you should be able to find a buyer without too much trouble.

Good luck!

John

2545 Posts
(Offline)
July 6, 2012 - 8:01 am
Print

Yeah, I know it was long.  I just started typing and typing.  I figured it would go through a few revisions before I actually put the ad up. 

I don't know if I will put that it is GREAT FOR TOWING.  It is only the 5.0, it does not have the trans cooler and I use the bumper, not a receiver hitch.  Everyone has seen threads about towing with the bumper and how "only a moron would tow with a bumper".  I am one of those morons who believes that the bumper is capable of towing but I don't know if I want to get into that debate with potential buyers.  Also, I don't have any printed facts about its towing capacity.  I think with the tow package it can tow 6,000#'s and the bumper is rated for 5,000#'s so after that I figured my 1,500# pup was fine back there.  Although towing is another selling point. 

I totally expect someone to Haggle over the price.  I feel I can walk away with $2,000 for it.  I just wasn't going to start at $2,000 and have someone offer me $1,500 for it.  I also expect to throw in the roof racks.  I just didn't want to give the roof racks to someone who wasn't going to use them.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

244 Posts
(Offline)
July 6, 2012 - 9:32 am
Print

Lot's of people will be interested in the mileage of it.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
July 6, 2012 - 9:38 am
Print

Yes, I was shocked when we put the van in my name and I calculated the miles.  My Dad's friend has a van that he uses in a similar manner....one year he drove it to the Hershey Car Show and home and didn't drive it anywhere until the next year when he went to the car show again.  He said he only did about 600 miles that year.  We used our van a bit more often than that but still, it wasn't a daily driver.

420 Posts
(Offline)
July 7, 2012 - 11:24 am
Print

Do you live by any farming areas? Farm laborers love these kind of vehicles, I said that as PC as I could. If you do, I would ask $2500 and tou should be able ro get the $2000. That would sell quick in my neck of the woods.

Best Regards,
Norm

2545 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 9:18 am
Print

It took long enough but I finally put the ad on craigslist.  DW and I looked at a class C RV yesterday and it would be real nice to sell the van quick  :thumbup:

HERE is the ad.

600 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 11:12 am
Print

good looking ad !

you could create another ad too, sell them as a package and name it:

"TOW and GO" Special !

put a little about the van in there, and a little about the Pop-up  3750 for both is what you have listed in the van ad, so it can not hurt to try.  place it in the rv section

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 1:18 pm
Print

That is a great idea to sell as a package deal or deal (higher) individually.  ;D I'm sure there is someone just waiting for this deal! Good luck.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 7:06 pm
Print

Sold the van  :jig:  I got less than I wanted but he found a hole in the muffler that I didn't know was there and I decided I'd rather take a little less on the van so I can move into a Class C RV. :thumbsup:

600 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 7:25 pm
Print

congrats !

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 8:45 pm
Print

You done good!  🙂

638 Posts
(Offline)
September 24, 2012 - 7:56 am
Print

Awesome!!

2545 Posts
(Offline)
September 25, 2012 - 9:20 pm
Print

Typical guy thing. I was more emotional selling my Dad's old van than when my Mom sold the family house.  :'(

Big Ugly's obituary:

Big Ugly traveled 46,000 miles in 11 years. It went to the Hershey Car show every October and the Englishtown Car show every Spring and Fall, becoming our temporary sleeping quarters with a cot in the back. On Saturday mornings it would pick up the items that Dad bought at the auction on Friday night. It was well known at the Storage units in Garfield....if it was there, Dad was inside. It was often parked next to a sign that said "garage sale". It's last miles of hard labor were spent cleaning out my Parent's house. Then it spent a few recreational years going camping with my family. Finally the time has come.  Nathan said "Bye bye Big Ugly......now can buy a new camper?"

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2