sp_TopicIcon
1970 Skamper popup questions
3 Posts
(Offline)
August 8, 2014 - 7:13 am
Print

I found this 1970 Skamper popup but have a few questions:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.o.....61110.html

1. I've never seen a popup with the lift on the outside. Is this original or done because the original went bad?

2. Where would you buy a replace top or parts?  Appropriately how expensive are new tops (I'd probably just replace the whole top, unless it's in great shape)?

I was going to wait to buy a popup till I found out if my boys like camping (they've only done backyard camping) but if this is a good deal and a top not too expensive I may get it.

Thanks!

Danny

215 Posts
(Offline)
August 8, 2014 - 7:45 am
Print

I'm not sure about that Skamper in particular, but external lift arms were standard on many, many p'ups and most probably, those are original to that camper.  Whether they're original, or replacements themselves, you can get more at http://www.popupparts.com.  The specific page for lift parts is here

I doubt you'll find an entire roof for sale anywhere, but many folks have built their own.  It's a common issue with all makes and models that have water damage.  Some folks take pains to replace the roof exactly as it was originally built, even using the original covering in many cases.  Others build an entirely new assembly with different materials.  I've seen builds going by on the various forums made from structural metal with sheet aluminum to fiberglass over plywood and all sorts of innovations in between. 

The ad you linked didn't say anything about it needing a new roof; have you talked to the owner?  To be as old as it is, it really doesn't look bad at all.  Unless you know something specific that you haven't shared with us, you might find that the roof is just fine like it is.

3 Posts
(Offline)
August 8, 2014 - 7:59 am
Print

Sorry, I meant canvas top not roof.

8 Posts
(Offline)
August 8, 2014 - 2:15 pm
Print

The two most popular places to have canvas made are Bear Creek Canvas and Canvas Replacements.

1 Posts
(Offline)
September 3, 2014 - 11:35 am
Print

I have a 67 Skamper popup.  The lift mech is external and is extremely simple.  So, less to go wrong.  My roof is aluminum and just mostly needed cleaning and some sealing.  We got a new canvas from Bear Creek and are very satisfied with the customer service, price, and quality.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2