Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
1999 Jayco Qwest 10 - Wood Rot in Roof
1 Posts
(Offline)
August 13, 2015 - 7:47 pm
Print

We just purchased a '99 Jayco Qwest 10, and a canvas replacement.  When taking down the old canvas, we found that some of the side panel plywood is rotted and/or contains mold. These side panels have the plastic molding, which the canvas attaches to, stapled to them, as well as some rubber seals at the bottom of the wood, and I'm having trouble locating these replacement parts.  Not all of the wood is damaged, and that which is damaged doesn't seem to affect the portion of wood that's under the plastic molding... I'm wondering if anyone has successfully replaced a portion of this plywood, as it does not seem to be necessary for structural integrity?  I've called our local popup repair (Little Dealer Little Prices) and they told me that popup "would be considered totaled by the rot and mold"... based on the repairs I've seen on this forum, I feel like we have very minimal work to do and that their response is absurd.  I hope I'm not kidding myself, I am brand new to popup campers and I've never been on a forum before, but the members seem so helpful that it's worth a try.

I've tried to add images, but I must be doing something wrong. I have uploaded them to photobucket.com, link: http://s55.photobucket.com/use.....Qwest%2010

2545 Posts
(Offline)
August 14, 2015 - 9:15 am
Print

Dealers don't want to do major repairs to a popup.  The money is in the big rigs.  Your pictures do not look too bad.  It looks like there is mold but id doesn't look to have a lot of rot.  I would spray bleach all over the mold to kill it and reevaluate the wood rot and what needs to be done.

I replaced the sideboards in the roof of my Coleman popup.  Below is a video of how and what I did.  I hope this helps you.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2