Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Aug 9-11, 2013 Cowan's Gape State Park
826 Posts
(Offline)
June 5, 2013 - 8:00 pm
Print

We are headed to Cowan's Gap State Park in August, with some friends.  Fri 8/9 till Sun 8/11. Maybe we'll see some of you there?  We'll be on site 77.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/st...../index.htm

Located between Chambersburg and McConnelsburg.

Swimming, Boating, Fishing, Hiking.  Most sites are partly shady.  Lots iof sites with electric 30 an/or 50 amp, some with electric and pet friendly.  We visited in the fall and it was a beautiful spot tucked in the gap between two mountain ridges.  Bath houses are new or newly remodeled.  All sites are gravel pads.  The campground is on a side hill so, some sites are not as level as others, but their web site does a good job of giving the dimensions and pitch.  There are lots of cabins of several sizes avail too. 

443 Posts
(Offline)
June 8, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Print

Just wondering, on the site descriptions for Cowans it gives the length of the spur, but then states "X ft level, X ft sloped, X ft overhang." I wasn't sure what that meant so I searched until I found one that said the whole thing was level. Do you know is it unlevel side to side or front to back? Would I have to back the trailer up an incline to the level spot or do we park on the lower level part & climb up to the "living area", fire ring & table? I've been a few places where the table & fire ring were up or down a hill from the parking pad & wanted to avoid that type of set up.

826 Posts
(Offline)
June 9, 2013 - 1:10 pm
Print

THis is tough to answer.  First take a look at the campground map and identify the Little Aughwick creek and Aughwick Road.  The road is higher in elevation by approz 100 feet.  So the sights closer to the road have your parking pad dug into or built out from that slope.  Most pads are gravel and once you reach the edge they drop off (sloping but steep).  The living area (table and fire ring) are mostly on the same level as the parking. It's not like there are steps or anything that extreme.  Picture these sites built into the side of a hill though.  The most universally level sites are toward the creek on the lower most roads.  So sites 2-29 on the creek side of the road, sites 75-115 on the creek side of the road, if I remember it right.  I did not photograph the area when I was there due to limited time constraints. 

Keep in mind that there is a dump station next to site 75. 

I see you have a 23 foot HTT, that'd be no problem here.  Especially in the creek side sites.  Keep in mind the creek isn't right next to you though.  It is 50 yards away and down a steep slope. 

I have some sites marked on my map that would even be OK for a large RV, but you'd want extra blocking for the rear or front stabilizers depending on site no matter what.

Here are the really big sites that are the most level according to my notes:  My guidelines were-does this fit my father's description of a suitable site?  His description is Level, if sloping at all just a little toward the front of the TV/site , is it mostly level side to side, Are there trees in the way of the drivers side slide out, and can I get a 34foot motorhome in there (remembering turning radius and etc):  8,12,16,36,39,41,107, 115, 130, 131, 142,143,146,147,149,53,62,177. 

Sites I marked as NEVER wanting are:  28,30,57, 68, 70, 112, 114, 159, 163, 165, and none of the non electrics on the side closest to the Aughwick Road.  I think this was because of their severe unlevel ness, and possibly tough to get backed into. 

443 Posts
(Offline)
June 9, 2013 - 4:22 pm
Print

Thanks! I guessed well. I booked 36, which fits your Dad's criteria for a suitable site.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3700

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2689
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2