Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Gifford Pinchot State Park - Aug 22/23, 2014
10 Posts
(Offline)
August 16, 2014 - 1:29 pm
Print

Heading to Gifford Pinchot camping next weekend with the wife and 9 month old son. Staying in a tent on the loop near the camping beach, lake front site 115. I know it is a little crowded in that area and it has a stone pad but we should be ok. I plan on trying to do some fishing but just looking to get out of the house. Has anyone been up here recently? I know the fishing can be hit or miss.

Thanks.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
August 16, 2014 - 2:27 pm
Print

It has been 3 years since I was last up there in my popup and 5 years since I stayed in one of the cabins there.  It was nice and enjoyable.  I like the lake swimming.  They also had a pretty cool nature center.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

827 Posts
(Offline)
August 16, 2014 - 9:16 pm
Print

Nice choice of site is is wide and flat.  We were there for Memorial Day Weekend this year and stayed in site 101, Parents in 100, and sister in 99.  This campground is slated for improvements in 2015, so this year the bathrooms are still the older variety, although they keep them clean.  We live within 15 min of this CG. 

There is a brand new Walmart Super center at the Valley Green exit on Route 83, and there is a nice large grocery store at the same exit called Darrenkamps.  And A Rite -Aid Pharmacy , and a Auto Parts Store too. 

There are a variety of eating options in the area, a restaurant at intersection of 177 and 74 in Rossville is good family restaurant food.  Same intersection also has a Subway. Near the Walmart there is an oriental buffet, Subway in the Walmart, Frozen Yogurt shop, Burger King, Mc Donalds, KFC and Taco Bell, and an Italian place.  Best Strombolis are at Rock-It Pizza and Subs on 382 just before you get to Route 83.  Good Ice Cream and Mini Golf at Reesers Ice Cream on 177 near intersection with 382.  Right now their special is Fresh Peach Sundays. 

Fair warning about staying within the speed limit once you are off Route 83.  State Police and locals like to sit all over the place on side roads and such.  Speed limit as you approach State Park drops to 45mph, and closer to Rossville its 40 mph. 

Have fun! 

638 Posts
(Offline)
August 17, 2014 - 3:04 pm
Print

Local cops sit behind the barns if you are coming from the south off 83 (getting off at Newberrytown, which is the way I would come with a camper. Road is wide and smooth). When the speed limit drops after Blue Ridge Cable, make sure you drop your speed too. Don't ask me how I know  :whistle:

Pinchot is a nice park and you've picked a nice loop. The bath house closest to you will be the messiest because of the swimming that is right there. But, that's to be expected of people with sand all over themselves. There is another bathhouse down by site 99. Also a good campground for bike riding, especially this loop. It is the flattest loop.

10 Posts
(Offline)
August 18, 2014 - 9:23 pm
Print

Thanks for tips everyone. We will be coming across 30 through York and then up 74. Looking forward to it more than ever as just a chance to get away. First trip with the baby but we have a game plan so hopefully he wont disturb any neighbors at night. That is our only concern.

827 Posts
(Offline)
August 18, 2014 - 10:24 pm
Print

Oooo, you'll pass Smitties pretzels after you go through Dover.  Yummy!  Must have one for a snack!

271 Posts
(Offline)
August 18, 2014 - 10:34 pm
Print

I love Smitties pretzels!!!  So jealous!

My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.

10 Posts
(Offline)
August 18, 2014 - 11:38 pm
Print

Thanks for the Tip! Hard to pass up something like that. Wife is going to be happy!

10 Posts
(Offline)
August 20, 2014 - 7:59 pm
Print

Weather forecast  has changed. not sure if I am going to be coming up now. If it was just me then maybe but trying to tent camp with a 10 month old is going to be a nightmare in the rain. We will see.

10 Posts
(Offline)
August 25, 2014 - 5:33 pm
Print

Did anyone experience the rain this past weekend? I cancelled my trip based on weather reports of nasty storms coming through PA. We got some rain Friday and a lot on Saturday down in West Chester but they were calling for it to be worse to the west which is where we were going.

827 Posts
(Offline)
August 25, 2014 - 7:15 pm
Print

We live close to Pinchot and just got rain.  And it was only heavy for a short time, then backed off to pleasant rhythm for a nap. Then fizzled out.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2