Skip to content
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Planning a East Coast beach tour NY-FL for summer 2013, suggestions?
58 Posts
(Offline)
July 7, 2012 - 8:50 am
Print

We are going to take the trip to FL next summer again and want to theme our trip a bit by staying at coastal and beach CG's. Assateague is definately on the list but we would love some more suggestions for NC, SC, GA, FL. We will be staying on the Atlantic coast of FL since Daytona is our end stop.
  Thanks can't wait to start planning!!!!!

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
July 7, 2012 - 9:35 am
Print

Nikki,
I'm not sure what time of the year you are going but our big summer rally will be in Williamsburg, VA (Jamestowne, Busch Gardens, Water Country) next June?

1238 Posts
(Offline)
July 7, 2012 - 9:51 pm
Print

I know you're no stranger to humidity or heat, but keep in mind, in the summer in the south, there are days when the humidity's so dense you can eat the stuff with a spork.

Are you popping all the way down?  And what route do you plan to take?

58 Posts
(Offline)
July 8, 2012 - 8:49 am
Print

Thanks Steve! We have a HTT with a back bunk house and one canvas bunk. We did the trek last year as well (an every other year adventure to visit the in-laws). Our A/C held up beautifully even with a few 100+ days. We also made sure that all the places we stayed had electric so we could run the A/C. Assateague is no hook-ups but we have been told by all who have gone that it is worth the sweat.
I believe that we took 90 to 15 to 77 to 95, but don't quote me. As for next years trip we are up for anything! If that involves going a bit out of the way to stay at some cool places we are all for it. Last year we did 17 days total and stayed in VA, SC, FL and the the reverse on the way home. There were a few one nighters to let the kids get a brake from the car since they were 10yrs, 6yrs, 4yrs and 8 months at the time.
The kids are all in love with the water ( and they sleep like logs after beach days  😉 ) So we really wanted to stay at some nice on the beach or super close to the beach places. We take a big trip every year with every other year being to FL and then the even years we have a goal to visit a state the kids haven't been to yet to try and get them to as many as possible before they fly the coop!

42 Posts
(Offline)
July 8, 2012 - 9:22 am
Print

We took 390, 15, 81, 77, 26 to 95 into FL.

58 Posts
(Offline)
July 8, 2012 - 9:35 am
Print

Thanks for clearing it up honey! I neither drive nor navigate, my job is to keep children happy  ;D

333 Posts
(Offline)
July 8, 2012 - 10:37 am
Print

Depending on whether you're looking for northern or southern SC, there's Huntington Beach state park or Hunting Island state park.

http://www.southcarolinaparks......ction.aspx
http://www.southcarolinaparks......ction.aspx

Mommy2jx3 has been to one of then (I'm pretty sure it was Huntington Beach) and said it was a nice place. However, I think they went over Christmas break, so YMMV.

Both have at least electric with some water, and one even has full hookup.

827 Posts
(Offline)
July 8, 2012 - 11:10 am
Print

Assateague does not have hook-ups, but you could stay in nearby Castaways Resort in OCeanCity MD. They havefullhookups andlots of extras.  Comes highly recommendedby friends of ours who stay for a week each summer

550 Posts
(Offline)
July 9, 2012 - 8:07 am
Print

Myrtle Beach, SC is a nice little stopping place on the way down. I haven't been there in years, but we used to camp at Pirateland for 3 weeks each year when I was a kid.

1238 Posts
(Offline)
July 13, 2012 - 10:34 am
Print

Depending on how far out of the way you want to go, NC's Outer Banks (OBX) are a pretty cool area.  That region is known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic due to all the shipwrecks.  The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was moved 1/2 mile, by slow rail, between 1999 and 2000.

The area is also home of the Wright Brothers' first flight at Jockey's Ridge at Nags Head, NC.

133 Posts
(Offline)
July 16, 2012 - 10:55 pm
Print

Wish I could advise you on Georgia but you will be so far east of Atlanta along the I-95 corador. I'm too far north-west.

I have seen some of the GA state parks on line and have been wanting to camp at some of the sites near the ocean between Savannah and Jacksonville FL.

http://www.gastateparks.gov

394 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2012 - 12:37 pm
Print

Every summer we take a trip to Myrtle Beach to have a weeks vacation. Due to we are at the foot of the mountains, we want to be right next to the beach for a week. I made some reflectix covers to put on the bunk ends and they held up nicely this summer during 30+ MPh winds/ thunder storm. They worked great for keeping the bunk ends cool! Check out my pictures.
We stay at http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com They have full hookups including cable tv. Only golf carts allowed is the full timers who live there. This is a very nice family campground with clean/ modern bath house twice a day. $50 deposit to make reservations! E-mail me if you need any more info.

43 Posts
(Offline)
September 19, 2012 - 4:49 pm
Print

I have to 2nd Fire Captain Jim. Myrtle beach travel park is a great campground and the best bath houses I have seen on a camp :baseballhat:ground

264 Posts
(Offline)
September 19, 2012 - 5:46 pm
Print

I have heard that Skidaway island near Savannah  GA is a pretty good place to stay.  Wanna try it myself

666 Posts
(Offline)
September 19, 2012 - 7:52 pm
Print

Nikki,
If want to see the ponies at Assteague at the end of July, You have to camp at Tom's Cove on Chincoteague.
You can watch them round up and swim the ponies from Assateague to Chincoteague at the end of July right from the Campground.
Both my DD's loved the week we spent on Chincoteague. The CG is just average, but has water/elec. and the bridge to Assateaugue is minutes away.
At the southern end of Assateague, the beaches are not crowed. A road runs between the middle of the island, less than 1/4 from open ocean to the Chincoteague side.
When the waves got too much for my girls on the ocean side, we'd pick up everything and walk to the Chincoteague beach side which was calm like a salt pond.
BTW, Chincoteague sprays for mosquitos every night, right through the campground, so it keeps them down to a minimum.
Unlike the northern end of the Assateague where the bugs will eat you alive.
here's a link to the pony round up. You should not miss it.
http://www.chincoteaguechamber.....y-swim-day

336 Posts
(Offline)
September 22, 2012 - 8:36 pm
Print

Skidaway Island is nice and just south of Savannah/Tybee Island.
We stayed there for a couple days on a trip to VA a few years ago.

Anastasia S.P. in North Florida (St. Augustine) is a great park. 
Sites are not on the beach, but a short bike ride or even quicker car ride and you are there.

22 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2012 - 9:26 am
Print

Since we've never camped outside of our state, I can't advise you on anything other then Florida....but thanks to your question, I've got a few out of state places that I really want to try now.  🙂  Since Daytona is your final destination, I can only give you a couple of suggestions.  Anastasia State Park is awesome!  I don't know of any Florida CG that is right on the beach on the Atlantic side...although we stick to mostly the state parks.  Our RV parks remind me of camping in the backyard.  Anastasia has a beautiful beach and it's in St. Augustine so there is a lot to see and do in the country's oldest town.  They book up quick though.  Another place you can try is Little Talbot Island State Park.  It's right outside of Jacksonville.  The beach is beautiful as well and is a 2 minute drive across the street from the campground.  The campgrounds could use some renovating and we about got eaten alive by the mosquitoes last summer.  There are some sites on the water - which is a river, I believe.  Both places can be reserved on reserveamerica.com. 

271 Posts
(Offline)
December 20, 2012 - 9:09 am
Print

While you're at Assateague, be sure to backtrack a bit and go up to Ocean City, MD to do the boardwalk. Lots of places to eat and great things to see.

You might also want to stop at Rehoboth Beach, DE. Parking is a hassle (it's all metered) but the boardwalk is good, the beach is okay, and it's the home of Dogfishhead ales (they have their own brewpub).

8 Posts
(Offline)
January 1, 2013 - 11:50 am
Print

We visited Tybee Island last March and thought it was pretty cool. Didn't have our camper with us on that trip but heard that Skidaway Island was a good place to stay.

73 Posts
(Offline)
January 29, 2013 - 11:24 am
Print

Nikki,

We live here in Jacksonville and I can recommend a few places one in particular which is a City Park with power/water called Huguenot Memorial Park.  It is locally called; "The Jetties" and is right on the water where the Atlantic meets the St. John's River.  You'll be right across from Mayport Naval Station where the film "G.I. Jane" was filmed.  You can find out about it at http://www.coj.net and search it. 

Another thought is Jekyll Island on Ga. Coast.  It's beautiful and there's even a water park nearby. 

Finally if you want to stay near the Mayport Naval Base there's another park that comes to mind with all the amenities of a State Park and that is Hanna Park.  You can find it through the same http://www.coj.net website. Oh and Anastasia is a wonderful spot there in St. Augustine.

I hope this all helps when you get down our way.  BTY, while you're in Daytona drive down I-4 and look for the signs to Orange City / Blue Spring SP.  During the summer it's a great place to swim and if you dive there's a awesome cave/cavern/open water dive area.

Doc

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0