Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Camp Taylor, NJ Lakota Wolf Preserve, May 2012
236 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 11:40 am
Print

We are expecting to leave around 1 or so. Paula will be solo most of the weekend because I have 2 gigs to play this weekend but I will be back on Sunday.

21 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 12:58 pm
Print

[quote author=CampingPhil link=topic=1239.msg13610#msg13610 date=1337279110]
So how come when we get it right we don't have cheering and atta boys...

Because THAT isn't the goal, or they are in shock... could be either one! lol! And hey... what about us GIRLS! (I know, I know... but still some of us can drive... just not most!) See you soon!

138 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 1:09 pm
Print

Just missing one more thing.  Admittedly, it's a fairly LARGE thing.  Should be leaving work in DC around 3.  Hopefully we'll be on the road from Baltimore by 5 and get there sometime around 9.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii397/Breadbox_photos/0518121302.jpg[/img]

1573 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 2:50 pm
Print

Not sure when we will be there. We just broke down with a frozen brake caliper 2miles north of Washinton(57/31). Trying to find someone to tow it and fix it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
253 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 9:14 pm
Print

Have fun everyone. My wife met MariskaHargitay today and hooked her up with our bal leveler.  We are stacked this weekend with a bday party over the bridge in PA on Saturday and a baby shower in Philly on Sunday.  Next weekend will be in NJ at Cedar Creak for a 5 day holiday weekend.  We live on the backside of Otter Lake, hahaha!

21 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 9:20 pm
Print

We will be arriving Saturday at some point...  blew a radiator hose... see y'all tomorrow!

253 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2012 - 9:37 pm
Print

Temps will be in the 80's this weekend,  Delaware river should be packed!  On Sunday my wife and baby head to Philly, ill be across the bridge at Quiet Valley's Baby Farm Animals Fest with my 3 year old dd.

701 Posts
(Offline)
May 19, 2012 - 9:28 pm
Print

Hope everyone got fixed back up and made it! :-

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 7:54 am
Print

I was able to come up yesterday and I'm now sitting at the group sit this morning listening to the creek and enjoying the fresh smell of coffee.  Everyone is here safety.  Phil was able to get his truck repaired and back on the road in a little over an hour.  (he can explain more)

The campground is very nice, deep in the woods.  The group of about 40+ were all talking about the wolf preserve visit, bike ride and wine tasting during the potluck dinner and group campfire.  We enjoyed a little adult beverage from CampingPhil and JelloSteve.  A few walked to the preserve in the evening to hear the wolfs howl as the moon came up.

It is great an meet a few new campers including both Jonathan, his family and Julie.  The weather is amazing, with beautiful 80 degree days and 50 degree cool nights.  Perfect camping and sleeping weather. 

Many photos coming.  Please email me photos that joe@canvascampers.com

1573 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 6:59 pm
Print

[quote author=CampingPhil link=topic=1239.msg13657#msg13657 date=1337367005]
Not sure when we will be there. We just broke down with a frozen brake caliper 2miles north of Washinton(57/31). Trying to find someone to tow it and fix it.

So here is what happened, the front left brake brake caliper stuck/froze with heavy smoke coming from the tire - we really thought was had a total engine fire, it was a lot of smoke. Pulled into a car wash parking lot and as fast as we could seperated the truck and trailer.

After about 20 minutes of "whoah is me, what the hell do we do, who do we call" I rememebed we had Progressive insurance road side assistance, so we gave them a call. About 30 minutes later a flatbed shows up and we talk about the problem. The driver offers to call a few shops he knows in the area to see if anyone can fix it right now. 5 minutes later he comes back and has a shop less than 2000' away (literally 3 doors up). The caliper was still frozen so it could not be driven and the rotor was still so hot, the brake line melted. Flat bed to the shop.

3 cheers for Gary at Weeping Willow Auto Repair. He has seen this problem with Dodge Dakota's before, and with a Napa parts right across the road from the shop, he replaced the brake line, caliper, rotor (which was totally warped once it cooled) and the brake pads. Done in 1 hour and 15 minutes - and at a very fair price.

Drove back and rehitched, at that point, color came back to Peter's face - that pasty white for the last 2 hours was not good. Made it to the Camp Taylor about 5:45.

So a terrible start to the trip, but to be fair this is the first time we have had a mechanical issue had in 15 years of camping.

The trip itself was a great time. Perfect weather, the Wolf Preserve was amazing - Highly recommended. We did the wine tasting on Saturday and picked us up 3 nice bottles. It was great to see a few new faces and our camping family regulars.

Wait now, the story isn't over. On the way back with the long downhill, I had the brake controller for the trailer set a bit low so it was relying on the truck brakes a bit more, can you guess what side of brakes had a bit of smoke at the bottom of the hill. 5 minutes to let the right side cool down (It wasn't locked just over heated) and quick reprogram of the Prodigy brake controller to put the trailer brakes on before the truck brakes (the feature is called brake boost) and all was good.

We are now home and Peter is on his second Gin and Tonic....

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
349 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 7:40 pm
Print

Good to hear that you got fixed quickly and salvaged the weekend!

We never had a locked caliper on our Dakota, but did warp both front rotors (same trip) before adding electric brakes to our '07 Flagstaff!

John

1573 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 7:53 pm
Print

[quote author=JEH412 link=topic=1239.msg13680#msg13680 date=1337557244]
We never had a locked caliper on our Dakota, but did warp both front rotors (same trip) before adding electric brakes to our '07 Flagstaff!

I have been told by a number of people that this is a common issue with 1998-2003 Dakota's and Durango's

550 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 8:08 pm
Print

Another great weekend. The weather was absolutely perfect for this trip. We had a group of 28 bicyclist, take a nice 22 mile ride on the Paulinskill Rail Trail. Our ride was lead by Team Pop Pup (Larry & Brenda) with fellow CanvasCamper members: mtn_bikers (Joe & Dawn), MarkSCook (& Cheryl) and evilmcgathaclan (Kevin). It was nice to see so many people out on bikes enjoying the wonderful weather.

Met a nice new family on this trip - Jonathan & son Jamie - - WELCOME to the group  🙂

And we were able to introduce a friend of ours (Julie) to the wonderful and wacky world of the Canvas Campers. Hopefully she will be joining us on a future rally.

As always - the adult beverage shots compliments of Phil & Pete were outstanding. And the guitar music of Mark really made the nights special.

Hope everyone had a safe ride home. 

706 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 8:39 pm
Print

;D What a great weekend! The weather couldn't have been more perfect, and a great CG too!

I was so nice to be a part of such a fantastic group of people.  I just can't say that enough.  We all finally got to meet Vik-king (Jonathan) and his son and what a great addition to the group. It was also nice to see Joe and Abby made it out, even if it wasn't for the whole weekend.

Boy were we close to the wolves! Some of them were just a few feet away.  I also got to go to my first wine tasting.  Thanks Phil and Pete!

The only bad part of the weekend was when it came to an end.  :'(

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 9:03 pm
Print

I make this post or something similar after each trip but feel that I need to thank everyone.  So.....

[li]Thanks for all those who attended this rally or others rallies.  It's always great to meet new camping friends.[/li]
    [li]Thanks for those who drove hours to hang out with the strangers that they met on the internet, even though this is what you tell your kids NOT to do.[/li]
    [li]Thanks for those who did a little extra to help make it an awesome weekend. (Coffee, tables, firewood, glowsticks, guitar music, adult beverage, photos, excellent food, custom rally banner and much more)[/li]
    [li]Thank you for everyones daily involvement in CanvasCampers with questions, shared experiences, SPUTs, photos and great stories.[/li]
    [li]Thanks Phil and Pete for organizing and running this rally.[/li]

It was great to see everyone and tell some fun stories around the campfire. 
Like my friend Joe once told me... It's Where Strangers Become Friends  and Friends Become Stranger!!    :doh: :tease: :idiot2:

106 Posts
(Offline)
May 20, 2012 - 9:09 pm
Print

We had too had a wonderful weekend. It started with DD prom Fri. night and ended with another enjoyable rally.

Thanks to Dawn for picking  this campground close to our home,  and to Phil and Pete for making coffee and for organizing the pot luck dinner.
Mark your guitar playing/singing  was a nice addition to our campfire.

We were so glad Joe and Abby were able to attend this rally. It was nice to meet Jonathan and family and Julie.

Thanks also to DH for the 26 mile hike uphill both ways.

550 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 6:50 am
Print

[quote author=Christine link=topic=1239.msg13686#msg13686 date=1337562579]
Thanks also to DH for the 26 mile hike uphill both ways.

I thought it was 28 miles uphill both ways and barefoot :rofl:

382 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 7:21 am
Print

Absolutely flawless weekend (NOT just talking about the weather). I want to THANK everyone from the rally and canvass campers for welcoming my family with such kindness and knowledge. (Not to mention the incredibly delicious buffet of food & great music). You folks really made my maiden voyage fantastic. I am sure we will be joining in on other rallies and activities in the very near future. Special thanks to Pete & Phil for hosting and their morning Java, and to Joe for making sure the  tongue of my trailer got seated on my ball hitch when I stood there scratching my head. To sum it all up, my son has not stopped posting to all his friends how great a weekend he had with his dad and the new camper. Absolutely priceless! 🙂

2545 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 7:40 am
Print

I can't wait to see pictures.  Even though I couldn't be with you guys, I was thinking about camping with you while my FIL was visiting.  Glad to hear Phil's truck was able to be fixed, my heart sank when I read the original post about it. 

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
May 21, 2012 - 8:01 am
Print

Here are a few pictures, I will be adding more as they come in.
Click Here the view additional photos

[smg id=1020]
[smg id=1022]

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3