Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Pinch Pond CG, PA - Spring Opener Rally, March 21-23, 2014
253 Posts
(Offline)
January 31, 2014 - 4:55 pm
Print

We may attempt it.  Kids jobs yadda ysdd.  Its far from 18302 pokes.

452 Posts
(Offline)
February 3, 2014 - 4:37 pm
Print

i am so tired of snow. bring on the camping weather. totally have cabin fever

402 Posts
(Offline)
February 4, 2014 - 12:30 am
Print

Cabin 2 fever lol  yes i agree lets go camping   

236 Posts
(Offline)
February 13, 2014 - 8:00 am
Print

I am quite thankful we have a cabin for this rally. I dont think I will be able to get to my camper a this point until May because of all of this snow. Cant wait to see all you guys next month.

447 Posts
(Offline)
February 16, 2014 - 3:43 pm
Print

Maybe we'll be tenting it!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/12572039525_28de89b785_n.jpg

828 Posts
(Offline)
February 17, 2014 - 7:30 pm
Print

30 days for it to melt away.  I have faith.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
February 17, 2014 - 8:39 pm
Print

When you are planning camping trips for over twenty years as I have, you run into bumps in the road.  This is one of them. 

French Creek State Park has budgeted to add sewer and water to about 14-17 sites in loop C of the campground.  DCNR is planning to have the 800 reservations system representatives call each of us to cancel or transfer all our reservations for this March group rally.  They are not able to move us to loop B during the same time frame because water and electric will be turned off everywhere until about Memorial Day.

GOOD NEWS!  The two rally coordinators and I are currently talking to several local campgrounds about moving our group for this same weekend.  Please give us 3-4 days to work out the details and I will personally be in touch with everyone.  We will be camping the weekend of March 21-23 and I look forward to you still being able to join us.  After our 13th snowfall this winter in the mid-atlantic area, this camping season can't come soon enough.

JoeCamper

352 Posts
(Offline)
February 17, 2014 - 9:06 pm
Print

After all this snow and no camping, i am will to camp in someone driveway for the weekend. 

2545 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 10:00 am
Print

I am looking forward to getting together with everyone.....doesn't matter where. 

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

121 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 10:09 am
Print

I agree with Mike and lone lock 🙂

Mike & Dawn
Happy Campers 101

131 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 10:41 am
Print

That is interesting, and frankley IMO it sucks  ::)

I do not remember French Creek being mentioned in the press releases for the State Budgets, but it sounds like this was a spur of the moment decision. Funny they didnt know that when the window opened.

Out here on this side of the State Laurel Hill SP was mentioned as having funds budgeted for "campground improvements" but no specific's. I just noticed they have locked out a whole section of sites from reservations for the season.

I have mixed feelings regarding "improvements". Last year some of the improvements were upping power from 30 to 50 AMP. Strictly for class A's?

2545 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 12:01 pm
Print

It does suck, but we'll work through it and make the best of it.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

701 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 12:25 pm
Print

Going to start digging out the camper. Hope the weather changes want no snow to travel

232 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 9:17 pm
Print

oh no! sadly we won't be able to use the camper (had my surgery) and def have to find a cabin? Wow, disappointing news & a headache for our treasured coordinators

253 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 10:17 pm
Print

I am glad to see another PA state park get full hookups. I'm lucky to have Promised Land reside in the same watershed as me and the 2 years worth of improvements to Pickerel Point were well worth it.  I have reserved two weekends so far on the Promised Land FHU sites.  Trout opener, and bass opener.  I'm geared towards fishing up there.  I have the Delaware river, Delaware National Rec Area, Delaware State forest, heck a few ski resorts too in my backyard.
The full hookups allow us to have stress free weekend camping at state parks. Leave the gray tank, aquatainers, make elaborate dinners, wash dishes, and shower up in the camper.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
February 19, 2014 - 9:03 am
Print

The campgrounds we have been looking at have had cabins so you can still chill with us  :guitar:

Joe is negotiating rates and other things but speaking of headaches.....the primary campground we have in mind lost phone in the last snowstorm so it's been interesting contacting them. 

Once we have a rate from the campground and confirm some things with French Creek/DCNR we will let everyone know. 

701 Posts
(Offline)
February 22, 2014 - 12:38 pm
Print

called abd canceled reservation. Any news on new site?

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
February 24, 2014 - 11:40 am
Print

As many of you know - French Creek SP will be closed for construction and our 9th annual spring opener rally has to move this year.  The beginning of the thread has been updated with the details.  We are going to Sill's Campground (private) just off the Reading exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  We have a block of site that are discounted but the campground also has a clean up weekend... help out Saturday from 9am-3pm and camp free all weekend.

All sites are pet friendly, all have electric and all will each have water if the temperatures are above freezing.

Please call them to confirm your reservation and post here so we can update the thread.  We will have the group coffee pot in the mornings, a potluck on Saturday at 6pm either in their pavilion or in their community room (depending on the weather) and group campfires.

French Creek SP reservations will be cancelled for everyone and I will be posting more details if they haven't contacted you already.

273 Posts
(Offline)
February 24, 2014 - 4:00 pm
Print

I tried calling but had to leave a message.  Hopefully they will call back soon.  I have not heard from French Creek SP regarding our reservation yet.

My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
February 24, 2014 - 4:13 pm
Print

I called Sills earlier today and just now as well and left a v/m.  I wonder if they are truly manning the phone or if they will just pick up all the messages tomorrow morning and call us back. 

As for canceling the French Creek Reservation I called 1-888-PA Parks and canceled it.  The first person I got just confirmed the reservation with me and when I said the campground was closed he transferred me to some "resolution" person.  Once I got him he wanted to transfer me to a different loop, A/B/D but when I told him the WHOLE campground is closed he said OK and refunded me my full amount. 

It is a little annoying to have to explain to the reservation people that the campground is closed when they should be telling us.  However that is not even half the trouble Joe has gone through talking with the PA reservation system and the park directly.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2