Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Tires: 5.30 12'' VS. ST145R12''
133 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2011 - 5:47 pm
Print

I need a spare tire for my PU.

Our PU has Secura ST145R12 "D" load (1220 Lbs., 65psi) as OME.

I went to Evilmart and all they have is Carlisle 4.80 (785 Lbs) or 5.30 (855 Lbs) 12'' 60psi "B" load on rims. They keep trying to tell me they are what I need.

??? Some simple math tells me something aint right! Adding up the two OME is 2440 Lbs. The two Carlisle's are 1710 Lbs. That's 730 Lbs less of a load capacity.

I would also prefer to use the OME rim.

Can anyone give some advise?

175 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2011 - 6:14 pm
Print

Wait one .... am I reading this correctly(?)
You presently have radial tires and are looking at bias belted(?)
That's a big NO-NO - you need to go one way or another.  Since you already have radials, better to go that direction and replace with same for a spare.

63 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2011 - 6:30 pm
Print

Should really go with a spare of same type, size and load rating otherwise you really just have a temp tire to let you limp your way to a tire store...  Which could mean a wait while they order you one.  My two cents anyway.  My NTU Quicksilver came with a bias spare of a different size.  I dumped it and got a spare to match when I replaced the tires.

349 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2011 - 6:40 pm
Print

I fully agree with the others -- order a radial that matches the tires already on your PU. Adding a bias ply tire with a lower weight rating is just asking for trouble.

That B rated bias might not be stout enough for your PU anyway.

John

333 Posts
(Offline)
October 18, 2011 - 12:00 pm
Print

Etrailer is a good resource for parts like this.  You can order them already mounted to rims, which can help if your existing rims are old, rusty or scraped up.  For your size, it looks like they only have them mounted to aluminum rims, though -- not a problem, just a little more $$.  Check the bolt pattern carefully before ordering.
http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-.....31206.html

You can also order just the tires and have them mounted locally.  Most local tire shops should also be able to order them for you.  Most of the ones around me can typically receive them the next day, or two. 

Aside from that, I agree with everyone else, stick with the radials.  You're right on with the weight issue, too.  The guys at Walmart clearly don't know what they're talking about.

133 Posts
(Offline)
October 18, 2011 - 7:57 pm
Print

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to order the correct tire.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2