PA State Park Improvments $200 Million
131 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 12:17 pm
Print

[quote author=Lone Lock link=topic=2609.msg27772#msg27772 date=1392742867]
and make the best of it.

That is all you can do about it ;D
I doubt we'll be dug out by then on this side of the mountains.

Not the right thread but here is a link to the DCNR press release. French Creek may fall under "Seventeen state park drinking water
or wastewater system projects"
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/news/DCNR_20028767.pdf

Depending how you read it that is 200 or 245 million for the Parks for either 2014-2015 fiscal year or for 2013-2014 / 2014-2015?
They have it worded a little crazy. Not much out of a proposed budget of near 30 billion.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 4:20 pm
Print

I think change is good....if done properly and for the right reason.  This will keep people in the outdoors.  Many kids and parents won't camp without ameneties.  I wonder what people thought when the State Parks put in swimming pools rather than swimming in a lake....or the first campsite to have electric.  Having the water and sewer will bring bigger rigs with longer stays.  As much as I like the peace and serenity of French Creek SP (which is putting in water and sewer) I know it will make my wife happier when she camps with me.  And my ultimate goal is to camp with my family.

I have camped at Hibernia County park in PA which has pit toilets, a picnic table and a sign post with a number on it for a site.  It is a beautiful campground however NOBODY camps there.  They didn't move forward with improvments.  I fear that someday the county will just chain up the campground saying it is too much trouble to keep it open for the occassional camper on the weekend.  They had 2 big weekends I have heard about....opening day for Trout fishing and a Bluegrass fiddle festival.  I was there for both this past year.....only about 12 sites occupied both weekends out of maybe 50 in 2 loops. 

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

131 Posts
(Offline)
February 18, 2014 - 5:22 pm
Print

On the PA DCNR website is a link you can put your email in and they'll send you the monthly newsletter. Usually has something interesting in it.

Beamed straight to you from my Westinghouse AP1000 using Tapatalk

131 Posts
(Offline)
February 27, 2014 - 8:47 am
Print

Laurel Hill State Park is putting in full hookups at 15 sites and upgrading electric at 8 others, all in the pet area which is the oldest section of the Park. I have mixed feelings about it. Possibly the money could be better spent upgrading the shower houses (sure could use it) or installing electric to more sites, some sites there are muddy and unusable after hard rains so gravel or asphalt pads are needed, who knows? They want to attract the large RV crowd, I have been told that by one of the rangers. I think its a mistake. As far as keeping people in the outdoors I don't know? I think those 15 sites will just price a lot of people out of it. Those full hookup sites will be close to $45 a night on the weekends. I would expect a general rate increase also soon. Oh well.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2