Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Gettysburg CG, PA - Historical Rally - April 2012
Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 8:45 am
Print

After talking with the campground and Adams Co. fire marshall's office, I'm currently working on a solution for the group campfire.  I'll post this afternoon once I know more.  Breaking out the mig welder and will need to figure out how to haul it to the campground if it works. 😀

1573 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 9:15 am
Print

Since Pete and Phil are not beer drinkers, we will be providing our annual camping shot. This will be called the Chocolate Cherry.

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
638 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 10:41 am
Print

Chocolate cherry... yummy! I'll be bringing a red sangria. Need to go get fruit for it.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 3:53 pm
Print

WE ARE HAVING A GROUP CAMPFIRE WITH ONE OR TWO PEOPLE PLAYING THE GUITAR.
started with a 22" tire rim
[smg id=928]
welding on legs for the fire to get air
[smg id=929]
added a mesh ring to hold the firewood in the ring
[smg id=930]
added a smalled mesh warp to meet open fire ban requirements
[smg id=931]
added a mesh top
[smg id=932]

You won't even know the smaller mesh is there after dark.
Now I just need to find a way to haul it.  ???

706 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 4:05 pm
Print

Love it! 

How big is it?  If no one volunteers a truck maybe I can fit in my minivan?

64 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 4:22 pm
Print

Got to the campground yesterday about 4:30 PM, just in time to set up in the rain. The perfect end to a totally crappy day. The trip was very nervracking. From Syracuse to Scranton was good but construction delays at Scranton and then everything started to go wrong - the truck and trailer began bouncing as of I were driving on oval tires. I pulled over but could noy find anything obviously wrong but for the next hour I couldn't go over 55MPH or everything would start bouncing again. Finally it quit as sudden as it started. Then outside Hershey I started hearing something flapping. Again I checked everything out and nothing, then that quit.
Today all is good, it's 75 degrees, the beer is cold, I got 4 out of 5 bars on Wifi and 13 cable TV channels.
See everyone soon.

182 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 5:01 pm
Print

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT

1573 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2012 - 6:13 pm
Print

I don't know if I should be saying "brilliant" or "someone has too much time on his hands"  :victory:

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2012 - 12:03 am
Print

Phil, the funny part was about 3-4 hours in... I was thinking the same two things.

550 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2012 - 7:32 am
Print

Just finishing up loading the truck and camper - should be on the road by 8:30/9:00...

We're going to hit Michaux State Park on the way in for a bike ride, then be over to the campground by 4 or so.

Looking forward seeing everyone.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2012 - 8:38 am
Print

I'm loaded up and hooked up, will be leaving in about an hour.  I picked up a large tomato pie for people to snack on while setting up.

701 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2012 - 10:20 am
Print

Ready to roll waiting DW as usual. Soon i hope.

445 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2012 - 10:46 am
Print

Have a great time everyone! We would have liked to join you, but we'll be at an all day high school track meet tomorrow.

Alex, sorry to hear about your rough drive, but glad that you made it safely. Please say Hi to Mary & JD for us. 

382 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2012 - 11:01 am
Print

Hope you all have a great time and great weather,  cant wait to join you folks next month at Camp Taylor! BE SAFE

638 Posts
(Offline)
April 22, 2012 - 2:31 pm
Print

Joe, thanks for setting up a great rally! Hope you had some time to enjoy it. We are home, unpacked and drying out. Gotta love being able to set it up in the garage and get the fans going to speed up the process. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

468 Posts
(Offline)
April 22, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Print

Had a great time in spite of the rain.  Thanks Joe for all your hard work.  The campfire helped me to forget the raindrops. 

638 Posts
(Offline)
April 22, 2012 - 4:31 pm
Print

Hopefully no one going home from Gettysburg got caught in this: Diesel spill closes Route 30 eastbound on the York County side. A tractor trailer leaking diesel had part of Route 30 Eastbound closed down near the Susquehanna bridge at the Susquehanna River after 10am. Truck ran into bridge and ripped a hole in the tank spilling diesel across the bridge to where it stopped on the Lancaster County side. Rt 30 reopened at 3pm.

236 Posts
(Offline)
April 22, 2012 - 4:58 pm
Print

Once again a great time. Thanks to all that worked behind the scenes to put it together.I hope one of these rallies I can be there for the whole weekend.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
April 23, 2012 - 9:33 am
Print

It was a great weekend in Gettysburg. The weather Thursday and Friday was beautiful, Saturday was awesome with about 2 hours of rain late in the day (didn't slow us down) and Sunday started with 2 hours of no rain and was wet the remainder of the day.  Many will be opening up tents and camper to dry out this week.

Here are links to the photos and playlist.
[iurl=https://canvascampers.com/index.php?action=media;sa=playlists;in=11]https://canvascampers.com/index.php?action=media;sa=playlists;in=11[/iurl] 
[iurl=https://canvascampers.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=97]https://canvascampers.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=97[/iurl]

Thanks you guys for cooking and everyone for bringing stuff, the food was excellent and like always... plenty of it.
We met a few new people along the way who have joined.  🙂
The firering worked well and we had fires both evenings with beerfest Saturday evening after dinner.  I tried both cherry and applepie moonshine, some great Canadian beer, tasty root beer and many other local favorites.  Thanks everyone.

64 Posts
(Offline)
April 23, 2012 - 7:19 pm
Print

Mary and I had a great time, met new people and some previous camping friends. Thanks Joe for all your efforts in organizing this rally.
The trip home was easy. We went up Rte. 15 all the way to Corning, NY, then east on I-86 to Elmira, NY, then north on Rte. 13 and caught I-81 at Cortland. Got gas at Williamsport for $3.77/gal. Spent the night just north of Syracuse. We missed all the snow, just had rain and heavy winds. Today on the trip home all the fields were white but the roads were clear with rain and VERY strong winds.
Hope to meet up with you again.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0