Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Southeast Spring Rally! Apr 5-7
1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 1:26 pm
Print

Not as much as DisneyWorld! The aquarium is near the World of Coke too. Closer and less expensive (Free) is Kennesaw National Battlefield at Kennesaw Mountain. Downtown Kennesaw and Acworth (closer to the CG) you can find museums based on the Great Train Chase ("The General" locomotive is on display in Kennesaw).  Marietta is also a really nice southern town with a big square with boutiques and odd shops (make sure you visit the costume shop), antique shops, Gone With the Wind Museum, and the beginning story of "The General" and how it was stolen - Marietta History Museum. All of these are interesting and not expensive!!  :baseballhat:
http://www.southernmuseum.org/
http://roadsidegeorgia.com/sit.....story.html
http://www.nps.gov/kemo/planyo.....ctions.htm (Maybe our friend Swampy will be on duty!)

Just north of McKinney in Cartersville is a fantastic facility - The Tellus Science Museum with planetarium and displays of dinosaurs, rocks & minerals, for all ages! http://www.tellusmuseum.org/

Also in Catersville is the Booth Western Museum that is quite an unexpected treat! It's not just cowboys! http://www.boothmuseum.org/  :cowboy:

Lots of inexpensive, educational, entertaining sights to see north of Atlanta, closer to the Rally at McKinney!

PM me if you want more info or directions! Glad to help visitors to our neck of the woods!  :camperkid:

95 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 1:34 pm
Print

BoomJammer, no worries! At least we have daylight on our side this time. Shouldn't get dark before 8 o'clock... and hopefully we'll be all set up by then.

Since y'all will be heading in late, you should swing by our site. MWOwnbey is getting there early Friday and she's cooking us some DO lasagna & dessert  ;D Y'all should stop by once you get set up and have a bite!! We're on site 135!

336 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 1:46 pm
Print

[quote author=GA Judy link=topic=2030.msg22415#msg22415 date=1365010011]
Not as much as DisneyWorld! The aquarium is near the World of Coke too. Closer and less expensive (Free) is Kennesaw National Battlefield at Kennesaw Mountain. Downtown Kennesaw and Acworth (closer to the CG) you can find museums based on the Great Train Chase ("The General" locomotive is on display in Kennesaw).  Marietta is also a really nice southern town with a big square with boutiques and odd shops (make sure you visit the costume shop), antique shops, Gone With the Wind Museum, and the beginning story of "The General" and how it was stolen - Marietta History Museum. All of these are interesting and not expensive!!

Don't get me started on Disney.  We have weekday passes since I am off Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  It's the food and drink prices that end up killing us.  Well, mostly the beer prices. Lol.
I'm going to look into the train chase.  Thanks.

117 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 1:58 pm
Print

Michael (Mc7), our girls are looking forward to meeting your camping cats.  I've had to convince them that our cats are NOT camping cats.  :dunno:

Miles (camp dad), yes, the aquarium is a lot of money.  But it is a fabulous place for kids!  We had season passes a few years ago.  We loved it, but we haven't been back as a family since then (due to price).  You'll have to make the call on the cost/benefit, but if you have time and the disposable money, it's definitely worth the effort to head back into town to see it.  I'll check with Laura to see if she knows of any discounts.

Here's what Laura says: AAA probably has discounted tickets.  If they are planning to do other things around downtown, I know there is some sort of combo ticket that gives a little bit of a discount to several different attractions.  But I don't know how you go about getting it.  Sorry, don't have too many ideas.  Don't blame them for being put off by the ticket prices. It's expensive!!!

William (Athread678), thanks for the invite.  We'll probably pick up dinner on the way in.  But we'll try to swing by and say hello to everybody in the area on Friday night.

142 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 2:26 pm
Print

judy, site 123 will probably be available now too. Earl is still hurting. We.ve been at the VA hospital almost 4 hours waiting for xray results,etc. I tried to let Campdad know. I'll call to cx as soon as we get home. I am so very sad we're going to miss this.

336 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 2:29 pm
Print

Surgipat, sorry you guys will not be able to make it.
Hope Earl gets some relief soon.

68 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 2:29 pm
Print

[quote author=BoomJammer link=topic=2030.msg22404#msg22404 date=1365007202]  That would beat our arrival time at the last rally back in September.  Jimmy, PapaChaz and Mike set up some lights/lanterns to help us set up.  What great friends!!! :thumbup:

Yeah. I think we showed up just after you too! Fun setting up in the dark but had lots of help! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 4:16 pm
Print

[quote author=surgipat link=topic=2030.msg22424#msg22424 date=1365013571]
judy, site 123 will probably be available now too. Earl is still hurting. We.ve been at the VA hospital almost 4 hours waiting for xray results,etc. I tried to let Campdad know. I'll call to cx as soon as we get home. I am so very sad we're going to miss this.

Oh, no!  I'm so sorry to hear this, Pat. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to Larry. We will miss you but understand. It's more important to get Earl better.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Print

In case you are arriving earlier and want to find things to do (especially on Thurs. to be out of the rain) and happened to miss the earlier mention of things to do in the area, here is a summary:

Close to McKinney Campground and free or rather inexpensive

(Free to view the mountain and nominal museum entrance fee) is Kennesaw National Battlefield at Kennesaw Mountain. Downtown Kennesaw and Acworth (closer to the CG) you can find the Southern Museum of Locomotive History based on the Great Train Chase ("The General" locomotive is on display in Kennesaw).  Marietta is also a really nice southern town with a big square with boutiques and odd shops (make sure you visit the costume shop), antique shops, Gone With the Wind Museum (so-so), little bistros, and the beginning of the story of "The General" and how it was stolen at Marietta History Museum.
http://www.southernmuseum.org/
http://roadsidegeorgia.com/sit.....story.html
http://www.nps.gov/kemo/planyo.....ctions.htm (Maybe our friend Swampy will be on duty!)

Just north of McKinney in Cartersville is a fantastic facility - The Tellus Science Museum with planetarium and displays of dinosaurs, rocks & minerals, for all ages! http://www.tellusmuseum.org/

Also in Cartersville is the Booth Western Museum that is quite an unexpected treat! It's not just cowboys! http://www.boothmuseum.org/ 

Lots of inexpensive, educational, entertaining sights to see north of Atlanta, closer to the Rally at McKinney!

PM me if you want more info or directions! Glad to help visitors to our neck of the woods! 

142 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 8:12 pm
Print

so Earl and I are in the ER of our local hospital waiting on tests to see where all this pain is coming from. I'm trying  not to cry, because I dont want Earl to feel worse than he does.ive officially cancelled our reservations. I hope a CC gets the site bcuz its a beaut. im hoping for sunny skies and a great time for all.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 8:15 pm
Print

I was hoping you would have better news, Pat. You've been there all day and I hope Earl will be getting some idea of what's going on so he can get it taken care of. Also hope you guys get some good rest tonight. We'll have another rally, so don't feel that bad - but know we will miss you and want to keep hearing how Earl is doing.

Wishing you both the best!

235 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 8:18 pm
Print

Pat, I'm sorry to hear of your change of plans.  I do hope Earl gets better.  Hopefully there'll be another time, real soon for the group to get together again.  Maybe the Bama folks can plan something and invited the GA folks and others too.

We'll be rolling to the CG on Friday afternoon.  If I can only get off work a bit early and maybe check Destiny out of school...................

Got my TP rolls and lint all packed ! 🙂

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 8:24 pm
Print

[quote author=missnanc link=topic=2030.msg22453#msg22453 date=1365034735]
...Got my TP rolls and lint all packed ! 🙂

Safe travels -- no sparks or you'll start a fire!  🙂 I've got some TP rolls and lint for you as well. I've also got some soda can pop tops for micbur to give to kdugan's DD in FL!! Heck, I'll save just about anything for anyone who asks. (There are limits!)

235 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 8:31 pm
Print

Thanks Judy!

(Hey we do box tops too, as do most every school in the state.)

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 8:47 pm
Print

Worse things than rain on the pre-opening of the Rally???  I don't think so. At least we can take refuge in our campers from raining rhetoric.  ;D

LONDON, April 3 (Reuters) - North Korea said it had "ratified" a merciless attack against the United States, potentially involving a "diversified nuclear strike".

"We formally inform the White House and Pentagon that the ever-escalating U.S. hostile policy toward the DPRK (North Korea) and its reckless nuclear threat will be smashed by the strong will of all the united service personnel and people and cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means of the DPRK and that the merciless operation of its revolutionary armed forces in this regard has been finally examined and ratified," a spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army said in a statement carried by the English language service of the state news agency KCNA. (Writing by Kevin Liffey; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

13 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 9:03 pm
Print

Ok guys, I'm checking in.  We're still coming!  Surgipat, so sorry to hear about your husband.  My husband has had kidney stones and they are terrible.  I know you're disappointed and so am I, and probably all of us, that you won't be there. 

My husband - his head has been good up until just today, but that's probably a matter of going back up on his meds again.

I haven't been reading (though I read back a couple pages here) because, I don't know if I mentioned this, but the sewer backed up several weeks ago and flooded the downstairs bathroom and bedroom, and it's been a, well, I call it a nightmare, husband doesn't, but then he's been at work at not having to deal with it.

They are up to the carpet now, and I've been telling them since it began that WE HAVE TO GO CAMPING this weekend.  So after tomorrow, they are going to have to wait till we get back.

Anyway, because of all this I've been busy and totally worn out and not reading the forum.  I'm talking totally worn out.

So:

(1) I don't know what food I'm bringing, but I will Bring Some.  (I'll do better next rally.)

(2) Is there a corn hole competition?  If so, we would love to be signed up for that.

I know the weather on Friday (when we get there) and Thursday when others of you get there will not be good, but it looks like it will be a beautiful Saturday and Sunday, last I looked, and we are lucky and blessed for that!

I'm so looking forward to getting together again.

175 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 9:14 pm
Print

I jut pulled the PUP in he garage to keep it dry for loading.  I am about 45 minutes from Mckinney and unfortunately it is raining here right now.  From Friday on it looks pretty good.  We are gonna have fun regardless of the weather.
Important information for those of you not from the Atlanta area.  This weekend is the "Final Four" at the Georgia Dome.  I am not a basketball fan, so I wouldn't take tickets if they were free.  If any of you plan on a trip to any of the activities downtown, the traffic will be very ugly.  As Judy had posted, there are a lot of fun things to do in that area and North of there.  There is a good flea market about 6 or 7 miles away on Saturday and Sunday if that appeals to you.  I will be in site 138.  Let me know if you are interested and I will give you directions.
We are soooo excited to meet everyone!
Ya'll be safe and we will see you soon.
Darrell

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 9:28 pm
Print

[quote author=Jeanie link=topic=2030.msg22461#msg22461 date=1365037389]
Ok guys, I'm checking in.  ...
(2) Is there a corn hole competition?  If so, we would love to be signed up for that.
I'm so looking forward to getting together again.

Jeanie, yes, there is a cornhole tournament on Saturday at 10 AM at RALLY CENTRAL. Check out page 1 of this topic for all the info so far. I've already printed the handout info, so make sure you sign in at RALLY CENTRAL when you come in on Friday so you can get what you need for the weekend.

Looking forward to this so much!

336 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 9:49 pm
Print

[quote author=GA Judy link=topic=2030.msg22464#msg22464 date=1365038890]
Jeanie, yes, there is a cornhole tournament on Saturday at 10 AM at RALLY CENTRAL.

Went to look at this bit of information as I didn't remember reading it.
I honestly still don't see it and even double checked before posting this.

I did find this bit of information....

[quote author=GA Judy] If anyone is so inclined, feel free to reimburse GA Judy for the uncollected (her error) sales tax on the tee-shirts!  THE SHIRTS ARE IN AND ARE REALLY NICE!

I just set a few bucks aside for you.
Wish you would have mentioned it in here (or through an IM) though.  It's an honest mistake and you shouldn't have to pay all the tax.

394 Posts
(Offline)
April 3, 2013 - 10:01 pm
Print

Matt, Atlanta traffic should be okay in morning between 8:20-11:00 am. We will find you another way home Sunday.
Pat- I am sorry you will not make it. I hope Earl gets to feeling better soon!
Micky, we will miss you guys as well!
We should be coming in between 10-12pm.
Let the fun begin!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3