Southeast Yogi Bear Spring Rally, GA
Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 7:30 am
Print
[Image Can Not Be Found]

[size=18pt][font=georgia]Southeast Yogi Bear Spring Rally[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Date:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]April 4-6th 2014[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Location:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park in Bremen, GA[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Campground Info:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]http://www.gajellystone.com/[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Reservations:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia](404) 855-2778[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Moderators:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]Athread678 & Jarhead71[/font][/size]

[img width=640 height=496]https://canvascampers.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=2828[/img]
[table]
[tr]
[td]Site #[/td]
[td]Member Name[/td]
[td]# Attending[/td]
[td]Arrive[/td]
[td]Depart[/td]
[td]Potluck[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 99[/td]
[td]Jerry and Deb[/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Thu[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td]Thur Supper RBeans Rice w/Kielbsa[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 100[/td]
[td]JoelMyer[/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Thur[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td]Fri Brkfst Pancakes  Sat Hamburgers[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 101[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Fri[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 102[/td]
[td]MissNanc[/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Thur[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td]Thur Supp Cole Slaw  Fri Brkfs Fruit Salad  Fri Supp Chick K Bobs Toss Salad  Sat Supp Hot Dogs[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 103[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Fri[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 104[/td]
[td]Jarhead71[/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Thur[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td]Fri Brfst Sausage Gravy  Fri supper D/O Lasagna[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 105[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Fri[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Site 106[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]- Adts[/td]
[td]Fri[/td]
[td]Sun[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

[hr]
original post

It's never a better time to talk about planning the spring group rally.  There has been conversation about trying a new location this trip so we need some suggestions.  We are looking for a campground that will accommodate a large group, have some amenities for everyone to enjoy and a center location.

If you have a suggestion, please post.  Will will research the CGs and take a poll from the members to choose one.

336 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 2:40 pm
Print

Crooked River S.P. would work great for us but not for most here.  ;D
60+ campsites, cottages (not cheap) for those without camper or that don't want to haul camper.
Plenty of places to have potluck.  Nature center, mini golf (tourney  ;)), playground, fishing, etc.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 4:40 pm
Print

We camped at St. Mary's SP last year and, while it is set up really nicely for a rally -- a big circle with a clear raised field in the middle and peripheral campsites off the circle, there is not much to do except fish. Swimming is impossible, and when we were there, the swimming pool was being torn out. I don't know if it was to be replaced. There is sightseeing in St. Mary's, about 12 miles south of the CG, with a little town trolley to take folks around (when it's running; wasn't when we were there) and a little museum at the Chamber of Commerce as well as an inexpensive entry fee at the submarine museum. You can take the daily ferry to the National Seashore island and spend the day or even tent camp.

Another place to consider that is more south central Georgia (near Albany) is Georgia Veterans SP  <http://gastateparks.org/Georgi.....&nbsp; The park borders along Lake Blackshear and has 76 campsites in long rows and a 25+/- site loop. Swimming, fishing, boating, and an aircraft museum are featured. The museum contains weapons, uniforms, etc., from the Revolutionary War to the Gulf War. It is also conveniently accessed from I-75.

Spring break time would be good if only all the kids had spring break at the same time. 🙂 The Georgia Veterans SP is accessible to a lot of AL, SC, and FL folks as well as the GA group if you plan your vacations early. 

Not only should we decide soon on a location (and book sites), but state what dates in April (for example) would suit the majority.  JMHO.  😉

117 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 6:16 pm
Print

Would this be in lieu of a Georgia Spring Rally?  Just curious.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 8:34 pm
Print

Jason, from what Joe Camper is asking, this is not in lieu but a selection process to help us determine where - and when - our Southeastern (Spring) Rally 2014 shapes up. As you know, we need a large area since we have expanded (and hope to do so still) with some amenities for camper families. We also need to book our reservations soon, especially since state parks, unlike federal properties, will not allow us to reserve specific sites. The possibility of reserving as a group is there, but it would depend on the CG.

Any ideas or input as to where your family might like to have the rally? That's what Joe is getting at here.

175 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 8:41 pm
Print

Another possibility would be FDR near Pine Mtn.  It is a huge park with lots of things to do nearby.  The only issue may be a circle or area where a lot of campers could get close together.  We are going there this coming weekend and I can take a look around to see if it would work.

117 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 9:56 pm
Print

Oh, I guess we have been calling them "Southeast" rallies instead of "Georgia" rallies, haven't we.  Guess I got confused on the names.

I don't have much input on locations.  Anything within a 2 hour drive from Atlanta would be very do-able for us.

We've only been to 3 Corps of Engineer's campgrounds,  1 GA state park (Vogel), and 1 private campground.

Vogel was very nice; lot's of activities when we were there this summer: hiking trails, lake, boats (pedal and kayak), swimming beach, waterfalls, mini-golf, ranger programs, evening concerts, playgrounds, ballfields, cabins (for those so-inclined).  There are a lot of neat things to do in nearby Blairsville. We definitely intend to return.  But it's off the beaten path as far as accessibility from interstates (an hour and 20 minutes from the I-85 corridor and an hour and 45 minutes from the I-75 corridor).  I'm not sure this would be "centrally located" for our target group.  But maybe it doesn't need to be?  It's a large campground and has some areas that might be nice for our group.  But we need to see if they would reserve specific sites for us.  One caution, they have a loop for tents and pop-ups that would not be good for any of our large TT friends.  But they don't seen to have any issues allowing pop-ups to reserve into the loops with larger sites.

We really like McKinney Campground and the Party loop where we've been the last 3 rallies.  It's hard to beat that loop as a gathering place and safe place for the kids to run/ride around.  But I understand that we might be outgrowing it.

We'd be game for traveling to FDR or other state parks that might be more centrally located.

What about the state parks in Alabama?  There are two that are just across the GA border: Cheaha and De Soto. We did a day trip to Cheaha years ago and would love to go back.

Cheaha State Park - 73 campsites, 1.7 hours from Atlanta - Mountain Bike and hiking trails, lake

De Soto State Park - 94 campsites, 2.2 hours from Atlanta - Mountain Bike and hiking trails, kayak/canoe rentals (flatwater river), river swimming, pool (only open during the summer), public golf

Hmm... "Campsites assigned at time of check-in."  But I also see reference to group rates.  I wonder how that works in Alabama?

117 Posts
(Offline)
September 27, 2013 - 10:25 pm
Print

Oh, forgot to discuss dates.  If we're looking for spring break dates... I've looked at spring break dates for 7 of the major school systems in Atlanta and on the northside of Atlanta.  It appears that the two common options are March 31- April 4 (Forsyth, Cobb, and Cherokee county schools) and April 7-11 (Dekalb, Fulton, Gwinnett county and Atlanta City schools).

So, to maximize the commonality of the spring breaks, I would suggest the rally dates be the weekend between these two weeks (April 4-6).

I would also entertain any weekend from May 9th or later into June (even though school isn't out for the girls until May 22nd (last day on the 21st).

235 Posts
(Offline)
September 28, 2013 - 12:54 am
Print

We've been to only a handful of Alabama campgrounds. There are a few state parks I'm familiar with Wind Creek, Cheaha (near Anniston), Chewakla, Oak Mountain (near Birmingham), Monte Sano (near Huntsville) and Desoto (never camped here) and Gulf Shores. With all state parks here, you can not reserve a campsite, only reservations for a spot. And honestly, the only one I would go back to is Chewakla near Auburn, but it is a very small park, I think only 30 sites. No wait.... there is Gulf Shores state park, great CG, and we do plan to go back there. But Alabama State Parks can't hold a candle to the Corp of Engineer parks (except Gulf Shores SP).

There are a couple of COE CGs on West Point Lake in Georgia.  Another COE CG in Georgia is Cotton Hill Campground on Walter F. George Lake, it is south of West point Lake.  (I've got a handy COE campground guidebook).

Can't wait to hear Darrel's review of FDR state park.

485 Posts
(Offline)
September 28, 2013 - 9:50 pm
Print

This will be interesting to watch come together. Two hours or six, its all the same to us.  😉

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 4:08 pm
Print

Here is a map of those that have posted for the last two southeast rallies.

https://mapsengine.google.com/.....VuZb0hbBV8

215 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 5:30 pm
Print

[quote author=JoeCamper link=topic=2737.msg26213#msg26213 date=1380485308]

Looks like Macon to Pine Mountain

336 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 6:21 pm
Print

[quote author=JoeCamper link=topic=2737.msg26213#msg26213 date=1380485308]

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zCnwHkhjZgm8.kTVuZb0hbBV8

That's right, bring it south.  ;D
I was the only one from Florida to go to any of the rallies that I am aware of.
The center point of the people that [s]posted[/s] attended would be up near Atlanta.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Print

Does anyone know about Whitetail Ridge Campground? Southwest of Atlanta... near the Alabama border.  2.5 hours or less from most everyone.

Any other suggestions?

485 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 8:08 pm
Print

According to the facilities map, there is a loop with about 27 sites with water and electric hook ups and a bathhouse. a lot of the sites are on the water. Looks interesting.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 10:28 pm
Print

If we're looking south, Walter F. George Lake Reservoir WHITE OAK (CREEK) CAMPGROUND, AL has 57 sites, but none are showing as being open due to the close opening date in late March. This lake is south of Providence Canyon SP and may have many sites available when the window opens for reservations. 

COTTON HILL, GA is on the same lake as White Oak above and also seems to have numerous sites conducive to a rally.

That is always the problem if we have more than 27 "regular" campsite families. If we want to expand the group to include others from south, east, and west, we need to find CGs that have enough campsites.

The above and Whitetail Ridge on Amity Lake mentioned by Camp Dad are all COE CGs. We can reserve them in a group unlike state parks where only a reservation is guaranteed, not a particular site.  Our experience is the COE facilities are very well maintained and the bonus for us is a senior access pass that gives us half-price! We have camped at Amity on the AL/GA border and it was nice but not large loops or many shaded areas on some loops.  From the highway outside of Lagrange, GA, Whitetail Ridge looked very nice, very shaded. Micbur has camped here and may have some input.

142 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 10:57 pm
Print

When we lived in Dothan, White Oak and Hardridge Creek on Lake Eufaula were our favorites. But, to paraphrase Miles, you guys set the date and place and we will plan to be there

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2013 - 11:03 pm
Print

If I'm reading their websites correct:
WHITETAIL RIDGE, GA has 58 sites with electric and water.
WHITE OAK (CREEK) CAMPGROUND, AL has 129 sites with electric and water.
- Both are near AL and GA border.
- Both are near the water.
- Both you can pick your campsite.

The big question is... how far in advance do we need to book for a group?
Looks like we can book 6 months in advance - booking 9/26/13 (today) for camping March 29, 2014

142 Posts
(Offline)
September 30, 2013 - 9:59 am
Print

It's been 10+ years since we camped at White Oak in Al. It was wonderful. We went almost every weekend. 1st loop is the best for lake access.  But maybe a little far for our working Ga folk?

485 Posts
(Offline)
September 30, 2013 - 6:49 pm
Print

[quote author=surgipat link=topic=2737.msg26230#msg26230 date=1380549599]
But maybe a little far for our working Ga folk?

Thats what vacation days are for, if all else fails call in with a cough! ::)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2