Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Assateague Island Group Rally, Fall 2015
Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
January 23, 2014 - 12:47 am
Print

I've been here a dozen times but have never camped.  It has always been on my bucket list and DGF wants to camp on the beach.  Sounds like a win-win.  We just need to plan it a year in advance.

[size=18pt][font=georgia]The Wild Horses Group Rally, MD[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Date:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]Fall 2015, maybe  mid September[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Location:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]Assateague State Park, Berlin MD 21811[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Campground Info:[/size][/font][size=14pt][font=georgia] Click Here![/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Campground Location:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]Loop H (electric and pet friendly)[/font][/size]
[font=georgia][size=14pt]Rally Coordinators:[/size][/font] [size=14pt][font=georgia]who ever I can talk into helping.[/font][/size]
[size=8pt]By posting or participating in this event, you agree to the linked Legal Agreement that CanvasCampers.com and its agents are not liable for your participation.[/size]

[img width=640 height=411]http://www.gazette.net/storyimage/PN/20120727/NEWS/707279722/EP/1/1/EP-707279722.jpg[/img]
[img width=640 height=332]https://canvascampers.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=3025[/img]
Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
January 23, 2014 - 7:21 am
Print

We have to work out some details:
1) Best time of the year to go with weather and bugs?  I think we want the fall, maybe Labor Day or a little earlier before the kids go back to school. 

2) Loop H is the only electric/pet area but there are many other great sites to dry camp.

3) How far in advance do we need to make a reservation since most of the 2014 summer is sold out now?

357 Posts
(Offline)
January 23, 2014 - 8:53 am
Print

H loop is real hard to get a group in, it books up early! We usually camp in "A" or "D". These loops have bath houses and we camp with our door side facing the ocean. We camp there in early October, Can't swim but don't need electricity for the A/C.   

1573 Posts
(Offline)
January 23, 2014 - 9:42 pm
Print

We have camped there before. For those using shower house facilities, its cold water showers (at least in the state park).

You might also want to consider Chincoteague. There is no federal state park camping there, but "TOM'S campground is literally 1 mile the entrance to the Chincoteague park and beaches. I know this as my mother had a house on the island for years and was one of the few year round residents.

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
357 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 10:01 am
Print

[quote author=CampingPhil link=topic=2871.msg27594#msg27594 date=1390531324]
We have camped there before. For those using shower house facilities, its cold water showers (at least in the state park).

You might also want to consider Chincoteague. There is no federal state park camping there, but "TOM'S campground is literally 1 mile the entrance to the Chincoteague park and beaches. I know this as my mother had a house on the island for years and was one of the few year round residents.

State park has real bath houses with hot water! The Federal park has pit toilets and cold showers! 

16 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 11:44 am
Print

We've been wanting to go to this area for a long time. Hoping that we can make this, though I don't think we'd be up for Labor Day weekend.. One of the weekends of the year that we DO NOT camp, due to those who never camp, camping on that weekend. In other words, loud drunken parties for people who don't typically camp.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 1:19 pm
Print

Kevin, I agree and never plan rallies on a holiday weekend.  I think this will be different since we need to book so far in advance and they sell out so quick.

16 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 1:27 pm
Print

Personally, I'd think the travel to and fro would be a bit worse due to the holiday as well. For us, a 7hr trip each way would likely turn into much longer if on a holiday weekend. 🙁

BUT, this rally is not scheduled around us.. So if we can make it work, we will. 😉

666 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 1:54 pm
Print

[quote author=CampingPhil link=topic=2871.msg27594#msg27594 date=1390531324]

I've been down to Chincoteague a couple of times. Assateague is a lot less crowed at the southern end and Chincoteague used to spray to keep mosquitos down. I don't know if they still do

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Print

Holiday traffic is a very good point.  I think we should go later so it isn't as hot. Especially if there is no electric for a/c. Not that I have ac but I'm thinking of everyone else.

Kevin, I'll plan this around you guys.  Wouldn't be the first time.  Is there a weekend in Sept that works for you?

16 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 2:29 pm
Print

[quote author=JoeCamper link=topic=2871.msg27603#msg27603 date=1390591398]
Holiday traffic is a very good point.  I think we should go later so it isn't as hot. Especially if there is no electric for a/c. Not that I have ac but I'm thinking of everyone else.

Kevin, I'll plan this around you guys.  Wouldn't be the first time.  Is there a weekend in Sept that works for you?

Joe,
Please don't plan it around us. If we can make it once you have chosen a date, we will make it. Just don't think many folks would want to be traveling during the holiday rush, but that was my single opinion. A lot can happen in life between now and September, 2015. A trip to any of the places in that area that have wild horses has been on our list for a long time!

16 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 2:51 pm
Print

Do either of the parks allow pets? Just saw that this one has no pets allowed? :(. Not sure how our pup would react to horses, but the park probably doesn't want to take the chance on anyone's pets.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
January 24, 2014 - 6:34 pm
Print

H and J loop are both pet loops at the campground listed at the beginning of the thread.  I will be bringing Abby with me also.

445 Posts
(Offline)
January 25, 2014 - 2:24 pm
Print

Good point about holiday traffic. We went down that way the wknd before the 4th of July this yr & our ride took almost twice as long as the ride home. We hit a ton of DE & OC, MD shore traffic.

445 Posts
(Offline)
July 7, 2014 - 4:47 pm
Print

We camped nearby last week & spent almost every day at Assateague, both Natl & State parks. In looking at the MD reservation page, it mentions that major dune reconstruction at the SP will be going on in the off season & reservations for next summer are not being taken until at least Oct.6, when a new update will be released. Some sites will be relocated, as well as some campground roads, making a new park map necessary.

We will be paying attention to updates, since we are planning a return trip early next summer. We haven't camped on the island in more than 10 yrs. We've visited on vacation the last 2 yrs & spent almost every day there, so we have decided to take the trailer & stay next year. The last time, we were in a tent with our boys in the natl park.

33 Posts
(Offline)
July 31, 2014 - 5:39 pm
Print

I'd love to try this.  My kids school starts the middle of August so pretty much no matter what timing, we would have to pull them out of school for a few days.  We had a fantastic trip to Cape Henlopen the first week of April 2012 and would be open to trying for the same time frame 2015 here.  We'll be back to Henlopen in a few days, first time back since 2012, so maybe we'll take the hour drive south to check out this beach and park while we are down there.

Too many trips to take and too little time.  I'm desperate to get back to Shenandoah and Cook Forest, as well as find new places to see and play.

232 Posts
(Offline)
August 7, 2014 - 4:06 pm
Print

Love assateague! September is usually great ,
holiday traffic is awful, last I remember the state park has showers, the national park there has none & you can do reservations up to I year in advance (I think, they sell out early) there is a campground called frontiertown that could be considered.

445 Posts
(Offline)
August 10, 2014 - 5:40 pm
Print

State park has hot showers. Natl park only has cold.

232 Posts
(Offline)
August 12, 2014 - 9:53 pm
Print

thanks for the clarification, all I remember is carrying my (then) 2 year old daughter from the one without, to the other with just to get a shower (and then carrying her all the way back) which was much harder then expected and I wouldn't recommend  : )

259 Posts
(Offline)
July 14, 2015 - 5:34 am
Print

has any date ever been determined for this event?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2