Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Assateague Island Group Rally, Fall 2015
2545 Posts
(Offline)
July 14, 2015 - 2:26 pm
Print

I don't think this rally took off.  I see Promised Land for August and Knobels for September and Spring Gulch for Halloween in October.

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

259 Posts
(Offline)
July 14, 2015 - 5:32 pm
Print

Maybe in 2016?

Eastern Pennsylvania
3873 Posts
(Offline)
July 15, 2015 - 7:56 pm
Print

What time of the year?

April:

May:

June: Review - When we went in June the black flies were kind of bad in the parking lot but once you hit the beach the wind keep them away.

Late June: Review - We unloaded all of our stuff and lugged it to a spot on the beach. Coolers, tents, babies, strollers etc. Immediately the wall of mosquitos descended upon us! I went to the trailer that sold bug spray and other items and bought every form of bug repellent they had. By the time I got back, I was gone maybe 5 minutes, my husband and our friends had all of our stuff back at the SUV and were yelling for me to unlock it because they were being eaten alive. In that amount of time, our friend had 30 bites on his legs and we killed at least 12 mosquitos that had snuck into the vehicle.

This is one of my favorites.
Review - There's a reason why there's a post card from Assateague Island that says "I gave blood at Assateague" The insects are intolerable. The beach was rough and we saw an 8 foot shark our second day in. We're just gonna strike this adventure from our bucket list and we'll NEVER go back. BTW, the "Rangers" suck, beware...

July: Review - This is "rough camping"--pit toilets, cold showers, no hook-ups. Follow the NP advice for long tent stakes and serious bug spray. Be advised that Easy Ups/canopies are no match for the strong winds we experienced. They ended up a unsalvagable twisted mess.

Aug:

Sept:

[hr]

FEES:
There are two fees required for camping at Assateague Island National Seashore:

Park Entrance Fee
Campsite Fee
Both fees are required if you are camping in the park, not just the nightly campsite cost.

We recommend purchasing at least an annual pass if you plan on visiting more than once a year. This is the most economical way to go.  An additional fee is required if you wish to do some oversand vehicle driving (OSV).

Park Entrance Fees - From the National Park Service as of 02/01/2012

Assateague National Park Fees
Campsite Fees - From the National Park Service as of 02/01/2012

Type of Campsite Fee
Regular Campsite
Apr 15 - Oct 15 $25 per night
Regular Campsite
Oct 16 - Apr 14 $20 per night
Group Campsite $40 per night
Backcountry Campsite $6 for a permit plus 7 day entrance fee of $15 per vehicle
(no additional park entrance fee required)

420 Posts
(Offline)
July 15, 2015 - 8:26 pm
Print

I know that the National Park is cold showers and no electric. The state park has an electric loop and warm showers. The bugs are another story. I have read it all has to do with the weather. It it has been rainy, than the bugs are bad. The longer it has been dry the better the bug situation. So there's no guarantee bugs or no bugs. I think fall would be a better time for nice days, but bugs could still be a nuisance. Spring would probably be better.

Best Regards,
Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

443 Posts
(Offline)
July 15, 2015 - 8:50 pm
Print

These are photos of the state park electric loop H, taken from the walkway over the dune to the beach. Pets are only allowed in this loop & a few sites in the I & J loop. The bathhouses have been getting remodeled for the last year. I have not used them, but have heard that the completed ones are very nice.

Everyone always mentions the bugs, but also be prepared for the sun & wind. As you can see in the photos, there is no shade.

We have always camped in the Natl Park, but ride our bikes through the state park all the time.
The bugs (mosquitoes & flies) in the Natl Park can be something unbearable like in a horror show, or a non-issue. It all depends on rain, & also if it's a land or ocean breeze. The Natl Park is user friendly: alcohol permitted, night fires allowed on the beach, very dog friendly. However, no electric hookups & cold showers only.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/busdriverwc75/IMG_0480.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/busdriverwc75/IMG_0481.jpg[/img]

Eastern Pennsylvania
3873 Posts
(Offline)
July 15, 2015 - 9:02 pm
Print

I agree, I'm thinking Assateague Island State Park, Loop H with pet and electric.  Bugs and Sun are free

Can we go during the school year, May or September?  May 2016 is sold out already so we would be looking at September 2016 or May 2017... booking one year in advance.

I personally would prefer September because the water is warmer from the summer months.

443 Posts
(Offline)
July 15, 2015 - 9:13 pm
Print

Oh, and the state park campstore has everything under the sun: fast food, groceries & snacks, ice, fishing & beach gear, souvenirs, clothing, etc

357 Posts
(Offline)
July 16, 2015 - 12:21 am
Print

We've camped in the state park a few times in early May and early October. The temps are usually low enough at night to be able to sleep without a/c so no electric is required. Also the bugs aren't as bad in the cooler months. The only drawback to these months are that the water would be too cold to swim, but you can still hang on the beach.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3700

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2689
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2