Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Proposed Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally
1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 13, 2014 - 4:20 pm
Print

Here is another possibility for the Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally:  Reed Bingham State Park (GA) off I-75 (exit 39) in south Georgia, 3 miles west of Adel or 14 miles east of Moultrie. There are 46 sites total (19 premium sites which are water, electric, sewer @ $35/night). The remainder sites are water and sewer @ $28/night. There is a Georgia residents senior discount of 20% and a 10% discount for Friends of Georgia Parks card holders. There are also glamping yurts and cabins for rent.

http://gastateparks.org/ReedBingham

A beach pavilion that seats up to 65 is available for a refundable $100 security deposit that is returned on the condition of cleanliness and good order after use. Being able to use a pavilion solves the problem of the group activities and potluck. There are two large loops, and the office agent says spring is the busiest season for the park so book early.

The weekend of March 28 offers the "Little River Fest" in the park featuring live animal shows, boating and pontoon boat tours, food vendors, arts & crafts, and music.

235 Posts
(Offline)
October 14, 2014 - 12:06 am
Print

That sounds like a nice place, the pictures looks inviting too.

I made it up to River Country today.  Had the opportunity to check it out. There's not really a loop like McKinney, but all the sites are nice and level with full hookups.  And while they do look close together, the manager stated most of the time they are able to place everyone in every other site. The rates ares $36 a night for 30 amps and $38 for 50 amps, add $2.00 for waterfront lots. This CG does charge $2.00 per person also ( I have never understood this, we found this at other CGs also).

The manager stated with a rally, they would allow us use of one of the three lodges.  This is a gated campground, which I prefer anywhere we stay. There is a walking trail all the way around the CG, along the edge of the river, with lots of swings and benches to sit at and watch the boats go by.  There are also boat ramps, docks and a pier. Pets are allowed, max 2, with a pet walk area. Also 2 pools, 2 playgrounds.

Now with all that said, the really negative side is there is only one bathhouse facility which is at the checkin/laundry at the entrance.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will be feasible for our rally.  We probably will spend a weekend there at some point, they had the halloween lights and decorations up and I could see workers to the back putting together the Christmas decorations. So hopefully we'll head up there sometime for one of the holiday weekends and take in the light show.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 14, 2014 - 5:14 pm
Print

Thanks for checking out River Country in Gadsden, Nancy. Sorry it did not seem to fit our rally preferences. It's hard to find a McKinney type campground, which is what Jimmy and I found a couple of years ago. (I will also keep that review in mind for the proposed TrailManor spring rally for the Dixie Chapter!)

235 Posts
(Offline)
October 14, 2014 - 10:26 pm
Print

I think most of the camp grounds we all like are Corp of Engineer CGs.  We've gotten spoiled by them, and that's where we seem to enjoy our stay the most.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 15, 2014 - 12:50 pm
Print

The poll is up for everyone to vote on dates. Go to the top of any page. There are 7 choices!!  The majority at the end of 7 days from today (10/15) will be the date for the rally. At that point, we will poll for location using the suggestions that have been made and any additional you suggest that can be added in the contest period -- better hurry.

After that the moderators will look into the top 2 sites to determine the feasibility of the rally set up needs and announce the final information on a new topic: Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally.

If you would like to help in any capacity, please PM me (GA Judy), missnanc, or Fire Captain Jim. Thanks!

Cast your votes! It's that time of year. Open your browsers, get comfortable, and check them out: 8)

So far, these are the proposed sites:
* Skidaway Island SP (GA) - 12 miles from downtown Savannah,
* McKinney CG COE, Allatoona Lake, Acworth, GA
*R. Shaefer Heard CG COE, West Point Lake, West Point, GA
*Eastbank CG, Lake Seminole on GA side of the GA-FL border
*River Forks County CG, near Lake Lanier, GA
*Bolding Mill COE, Lake Lanier, GA
*Lookout Mtn./Chattanooga West KOA, Trenton, GA
[s]River Country CG in Gadsden, AL[/s] Nancy reported not suitable for rally
*Fort Yargo SP, Winder, GA
*Hard Labor Creek, Rutledge, GA
*Veterans State Park, south GA
*Holiday CG COE, West Point Lake, GA - opens 03/26/15
*Whitetail Ridge COE, LaGrange, GA - opens 3/6/15, loop area sites #11 through #25
*Amity COE (on the Alabama side), borders AL/GA on West Point Lake - opens 04/22/15
*Gunter Hill CG COE near Montgomery, AL, open yr. round.  The Catoma loop has full hook ups.
*Reed Bingham State Park (GA), open year round; 2 loops; group beach pavilion for $100
    refundable security deposit. $28 water, elec.; $35 full w/sewer; discounts for GA
    seniors & Friends of GA Parks. Yurts and cabins available.
*Bald Mountain Camping Resort, Hiwassee, GA - $39.50/night ($5/hr. early check-in/out
    fee) up to 4 people with $5 p.p. up to 6. Open 4/01-11/01 with full hook ups most sites,
    cable TV, WiFi, many activities. Good Sam 10% discount. Cabins start @ $83+tax. With
    20 confirmed reservations, free use of indoor pavilion.

394 Posts
(Offline)
October 15, 2014 - 8:22 pm
Print

Here is a link to Bald Mtn. Campground. http://www.baldmountainpark.com
We camped there about 3 weeks ago. This campground is a short distance from the beautiful Hiawassee with a beautiful lake as well. It sits at the bottom of Brass Town Bald which is the highest elevation in Georgia. This campground does have putt-putt, fishing lake with bass, bream, catfish. No license required since it is a private lake.  They will now let you keep bass and catfish. They have paddle boats and kayaks, shuffle board, basket ball, game room, play ground, volley ball, horse shoes. The camp sites have full hook ups with cable TV. Bath houses are very clean! With 20 or more campers registered campers, free use of a meeting hall. I know this is near the North Carolina border which would be quite a drive for our southern Georgia/Florida and Alabama friends. But I promise the mountains are worth the drive any time of the year.
Fire Captain Jim

235 Posts
(Offline)
October 15, 2014 - 11:08 pm
Print

Jim, Bald Mountain looks nice.

Here's a link to Gunterhill CG, by Montgomery.

http://www.usgulfcoaststatesge.....544EDE9760

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 19, 2014 - 5:55 pm
Print

Let's bump this up!!  There are 3 votes in the poll for the dates suggested for the Southeast Spring 2015 Rally.

Anyone out there who has an opinion?  We sure would like to see some voting here. 😉  Thanks in advance.

22 Posts
(Offline)
October 21, 2014 - 3:07 am
Print

just my .02 here, but why can't we have 2? one for "spring" and one for "summer"? or would that be too much for people, or too much to plan? Sorry, i'm being greedy since i missed out on the fall rally....  🙂

Anyway, Memorial Day w/e sounds good since the kids will be out of school in Middle GA, but we'll be down for anything.

By the way.... hello everyone from the Great Sandbox.....

Lester

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 21, 2014 - 11:42 am
Print

Thanks for the input, Lester. We have two rallies a yr. In spring and fall. Anyone is welcome to start and organize a rally. The more the merrier. If you would like to plan one for summer, that would be great!  Joe Camper and one of the moderators listed for the spring/fall rallies can assist and tell you what and how.

Looks like you may have voted! Thanks and stayed tuned.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 22, 2014 - 4:17 pm
Print

Voting on the dates for the Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally has closed with Memorial Day weekend - May 22-25 - the winner with the majority of 2 votes. The other dates had 1 vote each.

Now we get to vote on where. Those on the poll were submitted as suggestions. Please vote on the poll where you want to have the rally held and after the poll is closed, the majority of votes will be calling it. After that, we will have a regular rally page set up.

Please note that Memorial Day Weekend is a busy camping weekend, and when making reservations we all need to be aware of 1) booking the reservations ASAP, 2) date the CG opens if it is a seasonal park, 3) state parks do not allow a specific site reservation.

If the majority of votes is for a park that does not accept reservations early (if the park is closed for the season and has a specific opening date), we will keep everyone informed as to when they should book their spot.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 24, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Print

We've got 3 votes up on the poll and 13 days left to vote. Check out the choices and then cast your vote for the Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally.

485 Posts
(Offline)
October 24, 2014 - 8:24 pm
Print

Ok I voted. I voted for the location that wouldn't take us 5-6 hours to get there.  😉

71 Posts
(Offline)
October 27, 2014 - 12:46 pm
Print

Miles,

Which one works best for you?

Joel

485 Posts
(Offline)
October 28, 2014 - 8:00 pm
Print

Joel, I voted for Chattanooga West KOA it is only a 2 1/2 hour drive from our house.
Skidaway Island is 8+hrs from home and Reed Bingham SP is 9+ hours from home.

71 Posts
(Offline)
October 29, 2014 - 10:09 am
Print

Miles,

I'm going for the Chattanooga West KOA, I want you to come!

Edit: I voted & checked.  It's Chattanooga 4 to 1!  Great minds.

Beautiful area up there.  Our maiden voyage with the 5er was to Cloudland Canyon State Park.

Joel

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 29, 2014 - 11:11 am
Print

Thanks to all who have voted! We still have a few more days left to garner more votes and lock in our choice.

Miles, I also hope you can make it with Sherelia and the kids, no matter where we wind up. We have the time and can go to any of these nice campgrounds, so I'm just ready for a rally!! ;D

485 Posts
(Offline)
October 29, 2014 - 2:45 pm
Print

Thanks for that vote Joel. Chattanooga is by far the closest one to us. 

1263 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2014 - 1:03 pm
Print

So far, the Lookout Mountain CG is leading in the votes. I called them to ck on details. Sounds like a great place, and it is popular. Out of 58 sites, 22are already reserved. If this is where we wind up, the owner said we must book 3 nights for the holiday weekend. Full hookups and 30 amp service on back in sites (lots 17-28) for $42 for 2 adults; $1.50 extra for kids 4-17, and $4.50 extra over 18. KOA member discount applies.

For the other CGs, ck out their websites. They are federal/state parks. Just keep in mind that Memorial Day weekend books fast. Whatever CG wins the vote, all interested in attending the Spring 2015 Rally needs to be right on the reservation line!

175 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2014 - 8:21 pm
Print

I voted for Chatt also.  Looks like a beautiful CG.  Sorry, I've been on vacation and off the grid with computer troubles.  All fixed now.  Maybe some Miles D.O. training in my future?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2