Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Proposed Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally
1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 7, 2014 - 7:30 pm
Print

Where? When? East....West....North....South?

We started the discussion at the Fall Rally Potluck on getting input from everyone and then starting a poll to pinpoint where our Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally would be. Everyone was asked to:
1) Suggest a conducive site for a campground large enough to accommodate possibly 20-25 campsites where we could rally (more if we grow);
2) Give reasons why you like a certain CG or CGs (amenities, shade, value, points of interest in area, etc.), and why it would be a good rally site;
3) Tell if you would like to do a 3-day weekend that allows for better travel time or more time for fun (if considering Memorial Day, we would most likely have to book at first open chance/before spring);
4) Determine what date(s) are good for your family (we may not be able to accommodate all, but we'll poll the choices based on your input);
5) Include whatever you like to give us a good understanding of your camping wants/needs.

When we get your input, we can start a poll on the topic and the majority will have it. This could be a lot of fun, so make sure you participate so we can all start making plans!

Co-Moderators and Activity/Event Cordinators welcome! PM either missnanc, Fire Captain Jim, or me  (GA Judy) to volunteer. The pay is lousy but the benefits are terrific!!

43 Posts
(Offline)
September 8, 2014 - 4:32 pm
Print

I suggest Skidaway Island State Park 12 miles from downtown Savannah, GA.  Site sizes are enormous, it is quiet and beautiful.  Convenient to I-95.  As I said only 12 miles to downtown Savannah.  Only 25 miles to Tybee Island.

Here is a review after our stay last Thanskgiving:

Spent the night of Nov. 23 thru noon on the 25th at the park in site #66.  Prior to going read dozens of reviews and most mentioned the size of the campsites.  Without a doubt they are the biggest I have seen.  I would say the average size is 80'x100' with some bigger.  All sites are pull thru.  Since the water and electrical is right beside the road, to take full advantage of the size of the sites you need a minimum of 50' of water line and 50' of electrical.  However, 25' of each will be plenty if you don't mind being close to the road.

70 sites have water and electrical hookups with 17 more also having sewer hookups. All but 13 of the sites had cable television hookups.  37 sites are 30amp max while the other 50 have 20/30/50amp hookups. The sites are grouped into 4 sections with a total of 3 bathhouses.  Our bathhouse in area #3 was pretty new. The men's side had a urinal, two commodes and two large showers.  The ladies had three commodes and two large showers.  A separate unisex handicap bathroom had a commode and shower.  They all were very clean.  All bathhouses also have washers and dryers to wash your clothes.  Normally, at this point I would tell you what sites to avoid and what sites to get.  I honestly did not see any bad sites and since you can not reserve a specific site, you have the opportunity to drive around and pick the site you want from what is available. 

The park itself has several trails that pass thru forests and along tidal saltwater marshes.  Along the trails you can observe Civil War fortifications in addition to lots of wildlife.  One of the trails leads to an observation tower.  The park is app. 12 miles from exit 94 on I-95 and also 12 miles from the Historic district of downtown Savannah and Paula Deen's Lady and Sons Restaurant.  Only 3 miles from the park is the Wormsloe State Historic Site for which you can get a $2 off admission coupon from the campground staff.  Even though the park is surrounded by housing developments, it was very quiet. 

If visiting Savannah(which you should be doing), I recommend you park at the Visitor's Center on MLK Blvd.  This building also houses the GA Museum of History; the Railroad Museum and Children's Museum are next door.  Parking on the weekend is free and during the week $7 per day or a 2-day pass can be purchased for  $12.  This is also the home base for all the sightseeing tours including the Old Towne Trolley, Olde Savannah, Blue line, Ghost tours.  It is also a departure point for the free DOT bus that will take you to most of the same stops the other tours that charge $12-$15 a person go to.  This is a deal and I recommend it.  You can always buy a guide book to get the history lesson.

This is a campground and park that I definitely recommend and will return to again. 

71 Posts
(Offline)
September 8, 2014 - 4:57 pm
Print

Judy,

We are retired and no kids in school so we're very flexible and anything is ok by us.

Some thoughts.

The weekend after Easter, weekend after Labor Day seems to be a good mantra.  I would suggest  April 9-12.

McKinney is great for us but I understand the desire to move south and west.

We had a rally once in one of the Corps parks near West Point.  Too long ago to remember which one. R. Shaefer Heard Campground gets rave reviews on rvparkreviews and has several loops.

The Corps seems to work well for our group and Eastbank Campground is down in the southwest corner of Ga. 

Joel

95 Posts
(Offline)
September 8, 2014 - 5:45 pm
Print

Well here's my two cents, so take it for what it's worth  😉

[li]We really love McKinney. Even with the humid weather, the shady sites made it so nice and comfortable - even for this pregnant mama. ;D However, something has got to give with their bathhouses. They're terrible - probably the worst we've seen. BUT, if you can overlook that, it really is a lovely CG that works really well for the rally. [/li]
    [li]We will have a little one who will only be a few months old for the Spring Rally. We'd still like to try to attend, so I'd selfishly love to see the rally stay somewhere in North GA with a 2-3 hour drive max. Typically this rules out anything south of Atlanta since traffic is a booger![/li]
    [li]The only weekends we're not available are April 11th and 18th - we already have plans for William's spring break. Also, as a side note, we probably want to avoid Spring Break like the plague. How do we feel about looking at something towards the end of March? Cooler weather and possibly less crowds?[/li]
    [li]We tend to visit the same campgrounds over and over, so I don't have a lot of input here, but I will say that there are some lovely CGs around Lake Lanier. We've camped at River Forks which has a nice loop set up with bath house and playground in the middle. They are a county CG which means we can only book (typically) 30 days in advance, but they have expressed the ability to work with us in the past. They also have a beach area with volleyball and other playground/activities. And there is a shelter we may be able to use if we wanted. Another option at Lanier is Bolding Mill which we can book through Recreation.gov[/li]
    [li]As far as a 3 day weekend goes... I'm not sure there is an option for that with us at least. William was able to take Friday off this time which was wonderful, but he really doesn't have any other holidays except Spring Break. However, he does have March 13th off. We could always try and do a St. Patty's Day rally ::)... any takers?? :dance:[/li]
    [li]Lastly, price. For us, as long as it's roughly $30 or under then it's typically do-able. Much more than that begins to limit us when we consider gas, length of stay and days away from work. [/li]

Excited to hear feedback from others... and again, just my two cents!!

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2014 - 11:21 am
Print

Come on, all. We've gotten some good feedback so far from a few campers. Let's hear from more of you for the Proposed Southeastern 2015 Spring Rally:  Where, When, Why.  We know Who will have a great time, no matter What!  (All of us.)

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 12, 2014 - 10:46 am
Print

8)  Any more thoughts, anyone?

235 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2014 - 4:39 pm
Print

Looking at the spring calendar, there are not any holidays listed, other than Memorial Day on May 25, which would give a long weekend and possible give us an extra day to relax. I would like for us to find a long weekend or possible time after school is out for the summer to host a rally. What is the consensus on that?

I think Larry and I will drive up to  River Country in Gadsden Alabama for a weekend.  It is not far from us, I keep hearing rave reviews about it.  And at Christmas time they have an awesome light show. Would Columbus Day weekend be a good weekend for a 2015 fall rally?  Most schools are out on that Monday I think.

235 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2014 - 4:40 pm
Print
485 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2014 - 6:08 pm
Print

I like the looks of that place Nancy. With the pools and splash pad it would be a nice place for an early summer Rally. We are debating on whether or not to sell our camper. If we still have it we will try to make a Spring/Summer rally. Of course our camping will revolve around our upcoming travels to Korea and back two times in the next six months or so. Zeke will be home forever soon.

394 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2014 - 7:18 pm
Print

I too like the looks Nancy, I am curious, how much a night? Miles, I hope you don't sell. I despised losing wonderful fellow campers!
I contacted Lookout Mtn./Chattanooga West KOA in Trenton, Ga., This camp ground had pretty good reviews and Chris and Michele has stayed there with really good comments. I am waiting on a call back from the owner for a quote on a rally price. Right now for a single camper to stay a night ranges $40-45 a nigh. If a KOA Member a 10% discount. This gives a bunch of different opportunities in Chattanooga area to explore.
I propose maybe the weekend of May15-17th,2015. We have been having the fall rally the weekend after Labor day, How about the weekend before Memorial Day weekend?

15 Posts
(Offline)
September 13, 2014 - 9:52 pm
Print

I really think that campground looks fun. 🙂

235 Posts
(Offline)
September 16, 2014 - 12:23 am
Print

I see a PA. group rally already planned and dated for July 17-18, 2015. Now that is planning ahead!

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 16, 2014 - 7:21 pm
Print

Sorry I was lost the last couple of days. Al wound up with double pneumonia from the cold/coughing he was doing at the fall rally. So he was in the hospital for a couple of days and now home with antibiotics and some Rx cough medicine. He is not a happy camper.  ::)

I guess we will have to post a poll in the next week or so for folks to vote on where the Southeastern Spring '15 Rally will be held.

Come campers and post your suggestions.

71 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 10:25 am
Print

Miles don't sell.  We missed ya'll the last couple of rallies.

I like the looks of River Country.  Looks like a great place for kids of all ages.  Good/excellent reviews on http://www.rvparkreviews.com/v.....Campground

Reported $40/night.

Joel

114 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 2:08 pm
Print

Hello all!!!  Just reading the posts about places for the Spring Rally.  I looked at River Country.  A little too far for me to go for a weekend so I would be out.  If it was for a longer stay then maybe, but best I could swing would be a long weekend so not an option.  Also some concern about shade.  It looks from the pictures that the campsites are all in the sun?  I know that there are several folks that have traveled farther for rallies, but I just can't swing it.  Several years ago I camped at Hard Labor Creek in Rutledge GA and had an enjoyable experience.  That might be too far for our Alabama friends though.  Here is the link if anyone is interested in looking at it.  As for the when?  Well, I am open since I don't work for the school system or have young ones.  ::)

http://gastateparks.org/HardLaborCreek

114 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 2:13 pm
Print

Another option might be Fort Yargo in Winder Ga

http://gastateparks.org/FortYargo

95 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 2:25 pm
Print

Well, I'm happy to report that we've taken our first step towards the dark side. ;D DH went Tuesday night to pick up our NTU 2004 F150! Definitely going to give us more towing ability than his little Colorado!

I'm going to agree with mwowbey that I'm not crazy about River Country. It is a bit of a drive for us... over 4 hours. So, with the little ones, I'm sure we wouldn't be able to make it.

Not trying to be difficult, but some points to ponder: I like the look of a "campground" with trees and woods and nature. This looks a bit more like an RV Park - which is nice for vacations, but not the vibe we've had for past rallys. Also, do they have a "loop"? Looks like many of the sites are lined up for the water view.

235 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 8:20 pm
Print

Amanda that is great about William's new truck! That is a good move toward a new camper.

Here's my suggestions for the next rally:

Let's make it a summer rally, maybe after school is out....or maybe Memorial day weekend.  Folks may be able to stay a day or two longer, not having to feel rushed from work to get there and rush home on Sunday. Might make for a bit more relaxing time.

Aside from River country campground in Gadsden there is also....

On Westpoint Lake, which is on the south west border of Georgia, south east border of Alabama, there are 4 campgrounds.  One has been suggested is Schaffer herd.

Then there's....Holiday CG, opens 03/26/15
Whitetail Ridge, opens 3/6/15, loop area sites #11 through #25
Amity (on the Alabama side), opens 04/22/15

And Gunter Hill CG near Montgomery, AL,  open year round.  The Catoma loop has been completely revamped to include full hookups.

All of the above are Corp of Engineers campgrounds.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 9:12 pm
Print

It's great to see how many campgrounds are possibilities.  We know we won't be able to make everyone happy, but a change of scenery and the possibility of more bathrooms and showers than McKinney looks promising.

215 Posts
(Offline)
September 18, 2014 - 9:58 pm
Print

I've been watching, but I'll refrain from offering a site since it's sketchy if we could go anyway.  I know that sounds funny, but it's a matter of advance planning.  She is in school all but common holidays and those are the worst times for you guys to plan a rally.  Aside from normal holidays, we're spur-of-the-moment weekend campers and unless it's just "down the road a bit" we'd be pulling in late on Friday and leaving Sunday morning.  So I'll watch for now.

Melinda, we love Georgia's State Parks, but they don't let you reserve individual sites, or even a large loop, so getting everyone packed in together for a rally would be difficult.  But I DO love our State Parks.

Just for future reference; when you guys decide when/where, can you please edit one of the original posts so we don't have to read through 4 or 5 pages to know what you all settled on in the end? 

Thanks,
Belch

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690