Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Illumination Weekend - Spring Gulch CG, Lancaster PA
2545 Posts
(Offline)
May 17, 2016 - 11:08 am
Print

Don't worry Joe....I'll bring some Chicken Alfredo.  I don't know if I will be camping or just visiting.  I haven't gotten the official OK from DW kiss

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

382 Posts
(Offline)
May 23, 2016 - 8:48 am
Print

We will be providing a 6 foot hero, sub, hogie, grinder or  sandwich depending on what part of the world your from (turkey, roast beef, salami, provolone cheese) with the  lettuce tomato , onion, mustard and mayo on the side so you can fix your own. I ordered it from a local deli and will pick it up Saturday late afternoon just before dinner

48 Posts
(Offline)
May 26, 2016 - 9:25 am
Print

I am getting hungry just looking at all the delicious food!  6pm dinner time can't come fast enough!

145 Posts
(Offline)
May 30, 2016 - 3:14 pm
Print

3 days to go for us!!  Can't wait!   

420 Posts
(Offline)
May 31, 2016 - 7:40 am
Print

I finally got our camper uncovered this weekend and dewinterized, so I guess we can go now.

Best Regards,
Norm

2545 Posts
(Offline)
May 31, 2016 - 9:06 am
Print

I found out from DW that we have a BBQ to go to on Saturday.  So I'll be visiting Friday night with Nathan and won't be there on Saturday  🙁

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

1573 Posts
(Offline)
May 31, 2016 - 10:12 am
Print

For those of you that have never done a campground Illumination before, its all about being creative and showing off. You decorate your sight in some type of theme, then you also decorate up yourself as a group (more on that later).Most campers the first time around just grab a bunch of Christmas Lights and light up - and that will look nice, but is it really you. You can light up in lots of different ways and get very creative.

We will be providing Luminary Bags and Tea lights for you to outline your site edges. You will place a bag every 3 or 4 feet between you and the site next to you, so the entire path through our area will be lit. For those that want the challenge of doing something with candles, I will bring 1000 tea lights.

You want to keep what you are doing a secret as much as possible - to make a lighted reveal. Starting lighting (electric or candles) at 8:30PM, with everyone that walking as a group from site to site by 9:00pm, this way it should be nice and dark.

Here are some sample ideas.

Kids sippy cups and office trash cans
[smg id=3371]
[smg id=3372]
[smg id=3373]

Tea Lights in Solo Cups to draw shapes.
[smg id=3375]

I dont recommend you steal all the picnic tables, but it shows you can put Tea Lights on anything.
[smg id=3387]

Take an umbrella and tape a $1 LED flashlight to the handle
[smg id=3382]
[smg id=3378]

On our site in the mountains, we have been known to light 2000 tea lights in cups
[smg id=3384]
[smg id=3395]

Balloons with a glow stick inside of them.
[smg id=3386]

Pick a color Theme
[smg id=3385]

Glow Necklaces
[smg id=3396]

More random shots and ideas
[smg id=3376]
[smg id=3394]
[smg id=3392]
[smg id=3391]
[smg id=3389]
[smg id=3388]
[smg id=3383]
[smg id=3381]

Before you start visiting the other sites, pick a lighting scheme for your body, or just like the logger jogger - costumes work.
[smg id=3374]
[smg id=3393]

Its gets easier each year as you can plan. When I have done with with other campgrounds, its starts with just 10 or so sites, then after a few years, it groups to the entire campground. Lets start a new tradition.

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
550 Posts
(Offline)
June 1, 2016 - 7:07 am
Print

So I was just informed by Joe and my cousin's husband (Lou) that we may not be back in time for the potluck, i.e. no pulled chicken for the group 🙁

We will be back in time for the campfire, and plan on bringing some desserts to share around the fire with everyone.

470 Posts
(Offline)
June 1, 2016 - 10:36 pm
Print

Hi Lone Lock --- If I am reading it correctly that you will NOT be with us for dinner on Saturday, I'm sorry to hear that. But, if so, we can bring a chicken alfredo.

RnR :chef: :smore: :reader:

48 Posts
(Offline)
June 1, 2016 - 11:43 pm
Print

Phil,
Thanks for all the great pictures!  It really gives us some amazing ideas.

470 Posts
(Offline)
June 1, 2016 - 11:46 pm
Print

Illumination ideas: 
*You don't have to buy lights to decorate your campsite....ask your family, friends, and neighbors if you can borrow any of their white Christmas lights.  Household items like tomato cages can be used to add height to your lights. 

*Don't overlook the fact that having something in front of the light, to make a silhouette can be a cool design.

2545 Posts
(Offline)
June 2, 2016 - 8:51 am
Print

Robin, Correct, I will not be there on Saturday so I will not be bringing the chicken alfredo. 

Phil,  Those were cool pictures.  I hope we can get this illumination weekend to grow to the caliber it is at your seasonal campground. 

I have an idea for an interesting box with a light in it.  I hope it works out good....we'll see tonight when I finally assemble it.  I'll put it up on Friday because I want to see it but I'll leave it for Saturday night. 

145 Posts
(Offline)
June 2, 2016 - 8:23 pm
Print

Hi!  We are here!  These are some really nice Shaded Sites!!  Made an excuse it was to hot eat and hit up shady maple!  :). 

165 Posts
(Offline)
June 2, 2016 - 9:21 pm
Print

I will be bringing some sort of chicken dish, so fear not!! 

48 Posts
(Offline)
June 2, 2016 - 10:44 pm
Print

With so many kids this weekend, I have come up with some activities, fun for all ages!!  You may get wet!

145 Posts
(Offline)
June 3, 2016 - 11:36 am
Print

Weather is clearing up! 

91 Posts
(Offline)
June 3, 2016 - 1:59 pm
Print

Just a heads up if you're coming up rt 23..... a trash truck /tractor trailer knocked down wires in the middle of the road,  so you can't get through. It is right in front of the Caernarvon fire house.

91 Posts
(Offline)
June 3, 2016 - 2:03 pm
Print

My mistake.... Caernarvon Township building, not firehouse.

827 Posts
(Offline)
June 3, 2016 - 7:32 pm
Print

3307 Main Street, Morgantown PA is the address for the Township Building where the wires are reported down.  (in case you want to plug it into GPS to determine another route)

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
June 6, 2016 - 6:45 am
Print

Illumination this weekend was a blast with 400-500 bags lining the road and great ideas at the sites.  Glowing campfire and a lot of lights.  The rain didn't come until 5:30pm on Sunday when everyone was already gone.

[img width=640 height=480]https://canvascampers.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=3397[/img]

Thanks Robin and Peggy for helping run this rally and all the kids games.  :clappingani:
Capture the glow flag was a hit.  Norm, thanks for your statistic advice to the teams.
Thanks Phil and Pete for visiting and sharing your illumination experience with us.
The campground resort was very excited and many seasonals walked and drive by in golf carts and cars.
Thanks Amy for some amazing desserts, you will be very popular here.  :thumbsup:
Thank you to anyone I missed.

Congratulations Bob & Gwen, your site was amazing.  :cheerleader: I hope you like your new custom made wooden bowl.
Yak, thank you for the prize donation.  We missed you.

Tony & Jen, your site had to be the biggest surprise... congratulations!

It had been 7 weeks since our last trip and we really needed it.  Raystown Lake in a few weeks, guaranteed many stories with the pontoon boat rental.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2