Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
New Toy - TV - our new 2015 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
1573 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 2:44 pm
Print

Brand new toy for us, actually for Peter. Gone is our 2007 Sante Fe and 1999 Dodge Dakota. In is the new 2015 Ford-F150 XLT SuperCrew 2.7L Eccoboost with every bell, whistle and gadget we could get while still allowing us to drive it home the same day.

Next weekend it gets its RinoLiner spray tan. By then the new Prodigy P3 brake controller and Truxedo Tonneau cover will be in.

Its name is "Brutus"

[smg id=3251]
[smg id=3252]
[smg id=3253]

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
1573 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 3:37 pm
Print

We went for the short bed (5.5 ft) since with the full crew cab, it just made it too long. Plus we rarely ever pack a bed so full that the larger sizes would have made much difference. Smaller bed and the 2.7 Eccoboost helps the mileage since this will be a daily driver.

Martini Glass The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that they have!
827 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 3:56 pm
Print

Awesome! Congrats!

1263 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 7:00 pm
Print

Niiiiice.  Congratulations and good luck.

666 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 8:42 pm
Print

Phil,
Great truck. You'll love it.
Why not factory trailer brake controller?
It's similar to the difference between a P3 and a timed delay cheapo.
Factory controller also ties in with the anti sway tech.
It can be added even if you didn't have it from the factory.
Anyhow, good luck.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

1573 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 9:47 pm
Print

[quote author=Storm Trooper link=topic=3257.msg31838#msg31838 date=1424482966]
Phil,
Great truck. You'll love it.
Why not factory trailer brake controller?

We were looking at 2 trucks that were on the lot, and neither had the controller, but had every other option we were considering. The price they wanted to add it after the fact was insane, plus I have read the mixed reviews on it. I am still very partial to my P3's.

165 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 10:03 pm
Print

The final decision came down to driving home in a new truck that day or waiting until they found one with everything we wanted.  Since I really wanted to drive home in a new truck, I compromised on a few things - color, gear shift on the column vs. the floor, cloth interior instead of leather, and the running boards that are stationary instead of the power ones that hide themselves under the truck.  This vehicle has more "stuff" on it than any other vehicle I've ever had, and certainly cost more than any of the others!!  There was a 2014 leftover that had a few more bells and whistles, but even with all of the rebates and incentives, the difference between a truck that's been sitting for a year or a brand new one was only $1400.  So we went with the 2015. 

666 Posts
(Offline)
February 20, 2015 - 10:46 pm
Print

Phil,

I don't know about any of the mixed reviews, but mine has outperformed any aftermarket controller by a long shot.

As a matter of fact, ask Dave about an instance in an icy corner that the trailer had started to slide on ice and the truck took over and stopped the trailer sliding sideways. Something the P3 could never do.
I believe you can be it as a aftermarket accessory and install (pretty much plug in) , but you would need the dealer to program the ecu for it.
If you lived closer, I'd be happy to put it in for you.

It's the closest thing to a Hayes controller I used over 50 years ago. Those were trapped into the hydraulic brake lines and sent voltage to the trailer brakes that directly related to the pressure in the TV brake line. You couldn't find a better brake controller than those until recently. Even P3's didn't work as well, but no one will take the liability for tapping into brakes lines today.
Ford's controller reads the pressure in the brake lines ( no pendulum like the P3) and applies that pressure in voltage to the trailer brakes.
Add that to the fact that it's also tied into the anti sway and you have an unbeatable combo.
In 2010, no one else's factory controller did that to my knowledge.
Just my two cents. With five years of use, I wouldn't go backwards to a controller that wasn't part of the TV's safety systems (traction control, abs, antisway).
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. I think Salesman do a terrible job telling people what Ford's integrated controller does.

BTW, please keep us up with how that 2.7 Ecoboost does. I haven't driven one yet.

306 Posts
(Offline)
February 21, 2015 - 11:05 am
Print

Very nice truck, We have the 2011 version but with the 5.0 v8 not eco boost. I love ours. Regarding the brake controller. Ours didn't have the factory one either and the local dealer wanted a pretty penny to put one in. I found an oem controller on ebay for way cheaper. Installed it myself in about 30 minutes and then took the truck to the dealer for the reflash. It works great and I like how it looks built into the dash rather than being bolted on underneath.

271 Posts
(Offline)
February 21, 2015 - 3:08 pm
Print

Nice looking truck!!!!

My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
February 22, 2015 - 6:57 pm
Print

Great looking tow vehicle, congrats

1573 Posts
(Offline)
February 24, 2015 - 9:46 am
Print

Well the dealer made me an offer I can't refuse and is throwing in the Factory Trailer Brake Controller for just the cost of installation and flashing the control module. Be a week or so before they can get to it.

Looks like I have a brand new Prodigy P3 in the box if anyone needs one.

165 Posts
(Offline)
February 26, 2015 - 10:06 pm
Print

[quote author=CampingPhil link=topic=3257.msg31861#msg31861 date=1424789201]
Well the dealer made me an offer I can't refuse and is throwing in the Factory Trailer Brake Controller for just the cost of installation and flashing the control module. Be a week or so before they can get to it.

Looks like I have a brand new Prodigy P3 in the box if anyone needs one.

Actually, the P3 was returned.  However, we have our P2 if anyone needs a damn good brake controller!

1573 Posts
(Offline)
March 14, 2015 - 6:42 pm
Print

The suspension in the new truck is interesting. Took the truck to a parking log to reset the Equalizer Hitch. Part of the process is you measure the height of the front fender with nothing attached, then with the trailer attached - no weight distribution, then again with weight distribution. 38" in all the cases, even though the back goes down 2 inches, the front never moved.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2