August 2, 2010
Since it was so nice out yesterday I decided to get some work done to the camper. It all started with the general spring clean out of all of the "stuff" that didn’t come out in the fall. That went well so I replaced the hooks on the bunk end bungee cords that needed changing last summer.
I figured why not get the water system flushed out in preparation for our North Carolina trip in two weeks. New anode rod for the water heater, flushed out the pink stuff and found out the water pump must not have sucked up enough of the antifreeze during winterizing- it developed a leak. Quick trip to the parts store and an easy swap out now we have a quiet pump again.
Feeling like I was really making progress I decided to finally swap out the thermostat with a digital one my sister in law gave me over a year ago. They upgraded to a fancy programable and had this nice basic digital looking for a home. Now I can actually see how warm it is and easily set it to where we like it.
To top off the weekend of pop up maintenance I recaulked the shower and toilet seams.
Cora and I will probably have dinner outside tonight and make a packing list for our week in NC.
February 5, 2012
April 4, 2012
Two weeks ago i ordered new bearings and seals for my pop up, this past weekend Jamie and i took the hubs off and pulled the old bearings and packed the new ones then installed the new ones and the seals. Of course I watch about 10 online videos and consulted the mayor several times to make this all happen. Thanks Joe for building up my confidence so I could accomplish this. Took about 40 minutes each side . Well worth the feeling knowing I will pulling a camper with fresh bearings and fresh grease.
Our weekend was busy too – de-winterized the water system. Sanitizing the fresh water tank and lines turned into a farce, with a missing plug, lost package of extras, purchase of more and finding the other package. After all that, it will be too cold to use the FW system for our first trip next week.
I emptied and reorganized the three kitchen storage space; we caulked a gap between the pantry and outside recess where the ‘fridge guts are.
Since we have a new tow vehicle, DH adapted the video monitor wiring from the TT’s rear view camera to use in the truck. Turned out that was easier than expected – nice after the sanitizing routine.
All that’s left to do for the TT before the first trip is to wash the floor, add throw rugs, clothing and stock the ‘fridge. New packing routine for the TV will be interesting, it is a much larger change than any other in the last two decades.
September 25, 2014
We changed to a digital thermostat in both our Cobalt pup and the Retro TT. When we bought the one for the pup, no one in town seemed to have a non-programmable in stock, so I ordered it through Amazon. Since the thermostat niche in the Cobalt was a few inches off the floor, we added a plug, long wire and used it on the counter:
new therrmostat mod by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr
The one in the TT was off-the-shelf from Lowe’s. It works great, the only thing is that I didn’t notice that, unlike the one in the pup, this does not have the momentary back light. Makes setting it at night a bit more difficult, we have to use our ceiling light (the one we don’t usually keep on) or a flashlight. (the things above the ‘stat are the senders and display for the ‘fridge and freezer thermometers):
TT mods by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr
[When I was taking pics, none of the units had batteries installed, so the displays are not on.]