Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Center Roof Strip on 2009 Coleman Westlake
5 Posts
(Offline)
June 20, 2011 - 8:49 pm
Print

Dear Friends:

I have a 2009 Coleman Westlake with a center molding strip down the middle of the roof. There is no caulking on either side of the molding strip, this is how it was made at the factory (apparently it is sealed under the molding strip). I do not have any problems with leaks at all. My question is:  As preventive maintenance, should I run a bead of caulking down each side of this molding strip?  Since Coleman/Fleetwood is out of business and I have no roof warranty, is this a wise move?  If so, what type of caulking should I use.  Thanks for you help and opinions.

Bruce

2545 Posts
(Offline)
June 21, 2011 - 7:34 am
Print

I don't know about running a bead of caulk along the side. 

I can tell you that it is Butyl tape or Putty tape under the trim.  I refurbished the roof on my 1992 coleman.  The old seal under the trim piece was dried up and allowing water in.  The trim came up easy (because it was all dried out) and then I cleaned and painted my whole roof before I put the trim down with the new Butyl tape.  I don't know if I would attempt to do that while the Butyl tape is still gummy, it may be a PIA to remove the center seam.  From what I understand as long as it is gummy, it is keeping water out.  If you feel you are getting water through the seam, it could be coming from the screws....You may have a few loose screws  ;D That is my story on center seams

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

5 Posts
(Offline)
October 16, 2011 - 5:46 pm
Print

Any more opinions on this?  I'm going to do this in the winter.  Any suggestions on what type of  caulking I should use.  Thanks.

Bruce

349 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2011 - 7:06 am
Print

If you're going to do it as preventative maintenance, Bruce, use any high quality exterior door/window caulk. Or, go to a building supply store and get a tube of caulking used by siding installers to caulk window and door frames after they cap them. That stuff is more of a mess to apply/clean up; mineral spirits vs. soap and water, but it's very, very tough stuff.

No matter which you chose, apply as thin a bead as you.

If you're not having any leaks, I don't know if I'd bother, especially on an '09. Expansion/contraction and weathering will break its bond to some extent since you're not getting the caulk under that strip, where it can seal between two solid surfaces. That's up to you, though. There's a lot to be said for peace of mind!

John

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0