Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Spring/Summer Camping in North GA 2014
71 Posts
(Offline)
March 27, 2014 - 9:20 am
Print

So, picked up "Day Hiking the North Georgia Mountains" at REI the other day.

Getting excited about camping/hiking.  There's a lot within a couple of hours of me.

Want to try the Forest Service Campgrounds, but a little apprehensive.

There was a good bit of discussion last year, but not clear that anybody actually went camping in any of the Forest Service Campground.

So...has anybody camped in one of the Forest Service Campgrounds?  I would love to hear about your experience.

Joel

264 Posts
(Offline)
March 27, 2014 - 12:58 pm
Print

I mainly camp FS campgrounds. Love the $6 a nite sites.  Been to almost all of them up here in N Ga. Let me know if I can answer any questions?

Life is short so camp hard.

71 Posts
(Offline)
March 27, 2014 - 5:00 pm
Print

What are your favorite North GA FS Campgrounds?

Which ones will you never go back to?

Joel

264 Posts
(Offline)
March 28, 2014 - 6:19 am
Print

Really have not found one up here I won't go back to.  So far my odd mulkey but I if it's full coopers creek I is right across the road from it.  Going to Dasoto falls this weekend.  It's nice too

264 Posts
(Offline)
March 28, 2014 - 6:21 am
Print

Dang auto correct.  Odd=favorite lol

71 Posts
(Offline)
March 29, 2014 - 7:41 am
Print

Thanks and now I'm jealous.

Peco has my PUP for a couple of little things and an annual lube.  Can't wait to get started.

Joel

117 Posts
(Offline)
March 31, 2014 - 1:20 pm
Print

[quote author=joelmyer link=topic=2927.msg28308#msg28308 date=1395926431]
Want to try the Forest Service Campgrounds, but a little apprehensive.

Same here. 

Last year, I drove into three different FS campgrounds:

[li]Desoto Falls - Nice, accessible, creek access suitable for our girls to play in.[/li]
    [li]Dockery Lake - Secluded, 1 mile rough access road.  Not sure I want to take out minivan back in there while towing the camper.[/li]
    [li]Lake Winfield Scott - Nice, accessible, lake with shower house.  Seems like this would be a good first forray into FS camping.[/li]

I haven't stayed in any of these campgrounds.  But we're interested in experiencing both Desoto Falls and Lake Winfield Scott.

264 Posts
(Offline)
April 1, 2014 - 7:46 am
Print

Just finished a great weekend at desoto falls.  Great little park

264 Posts
(Offline)
April 1, 2014 - 7:48 am
Print

You guys just let me know when you want to come up to my neck of the woods and give em a try. If I'm off that weekend we'll keep ya company.  Even bring you propane if needed.  Lol

117 Posts
(Offline)
April 1, 2014 - 8:53 am
Print

[quote author=MtnKube link=topic=2927.msg28376#msg28376 date=1396352932]
we'll keep ya company.  Even bring you propane if needed.  Lol

MtnKube, you are awesome!!!  Thanks again for the propane.  That would have been a COLD night if we had run out!!!

71 Posts
(Offline)
April 1, 2014 - 4:14 pm
Print

Some day when Peco gives me my pup back.

Thanks for the mini reviews BoomJammer.  If you are comfortable with your girls then I should be.

Joel

6 Posts
(Offline)
April 5, 2014 - 9:29 pm
Print

I am new to popup camping.  How do you all do it with no hookups?  I suppose the only time you would need hookups is for AC when it is hot but that is one of main reasons I bought mine.

I have camped Andrews Cove and Jones Creek in a tent.  Driven through Mulkey and Coopers Creek.  I wouldn't recommend Jones Creek unless you have smaller popup.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
April 5, 2014 - 10:38 pm
Print

Welcome aboard, metro6775. As for us, we have never camped with no hookups but could if we had to with our TrailManor. We just never opted since we're older, retired, and like the conveniences. ;D

Georgia state parks and, of course, the Corps of Engineers CGs, have water, electric, and either sewers or dump stations. They vary in condition, especially the SPs, but all we have visited have been terrific. As for A/C in the summer in GA, you might want to read the topics on portable A/Cs, but we find lakefront sites and a fan to be somewhat comfortable. I do admit, however, that having A/C at night on some trips has been important to sleep.

Hope you can come to our Southeast Fall Rally, Sept. 5-7, at McKinney Campground on Lake Allatoona. It's a great group of friends, old and new, who are all different ages, some with kids and not, dogs/cats and not, and always fun things for kids and adults with an outstanding Potluck and other goodies.

264 Posts
(Offline)
April 6, 2014 - 5:02 am
Print

Where are at  metro?

6 Posts
(Offline)
April 7, 2014 - 7:57 pm
Print

[quote author=MtnKube link=topic=2927.msg28454#msg28454 date=1396774949]
Where are at  metro?

North GA.

264 Posts
(Offline)
April 7, 2014 - 7:58 pm
Print

Us too. Blairsville here

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

117 Posts
(Offline)
April 8, 2014 - 3:45 pm
Print

[quote author=metro6775 link=topic=2927.msg28449#msg28449 date=1396747769]
How do you all do it with no hookups? 

I haven't yet.  But it has a certain allure to me.  Perhaps going back to my scouting days. 

The FS campgrounds that I mentioned above all have toilets (at leat pit toilets), and I think Lake Winfiled Scott even has water spigots at various places throughout the camping loops and showers at the bathhouse near the beach.

22 Posts
(Offline)
June 9, 2014 - 12:07 am
Print

you folks have me curious talking about these fs campgrounds, and i'm looking at their site. desoto seems nice, but lake winfield scott seems to have some nicer features. but i am confused about one thing... it says at the top that a single site with electric and water is $30 a night... no big deal, but then at the bottom, it explains that there are no water or electric available at this campground (in either loops). what am i missing? i would welcome the thought of shooting up north with the family for a meet and greet week-end... just thinking out loud over here..  😀

1263 Posts
(Offline)
June 9, 2014 - 12:35 pm
Print

Idog, we are camping Thurs.-Sun. at Moccasin Creek SP next week if you want to come along. We'll try to get a site close to the creek when we drive through to pick a spot. I'd have to look at the map again to pin it down if there are sites available when we get there because you probably know you cannot reserve a specific site in a state park.  🙁  First come, first served.

22 Posts
(Offline)
June 10, 2014 - 12:27 am
Print

[quote author=GA Judy link=topic=2927.msg29156#msg29156 date=1402331716]
Idog, we are camping Thurs.-Sun. at Moccasin Creek SP next week if you want to come along. We'll try to get a site close to the creek when we drive through to pick a spot. I'd have to look at the map again to pin it down if there are sites available when we get there because you probably know you cannot reserve a specific site in a state park.  🙁  First come, first served.

wow... looks like a very nice area, and not a bad drive for us... 3.5 hrs... but unfortunately i'm tied up with stuff the next two week-ends. but thank you for the invite. you guys be careful up there. 😀

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2