Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Williamsburg, VA Group Rally - June 2013
29 Posts
(Offline)
November 7, 2011 - 2:08 pm
Print
[Image Can Not Be Found]
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10764;0/st/20130618/e/Williamsburg+Summer+Rally/k/d85a/event.png

[table]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]Where:    [/size][/font][/td]
[td][font=georgia]American Heritage RV Park
146 Maxton Lane
Williamsburg, VA
(757) 294-3625[/font][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]When:[/size][/font][/td]
[td][font=georgia]June 18 (Tues)- June 23 (Sun), 2013[/font][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]CG Information:[/size][/font][/td]
[td][font=georgia]http://www.americanheritagervpark.com/[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]CG Map:[/size][/font][/td]
[td][font=georgia]see below![/font][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]CG Sites:[/size][/font][/td]
[td]The campground is currently adding additional sites and will be
completed long before June.  These sites will be used for our group.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]CG Price:[/size][/font][/td]
[td]$39 per night - ONLY a $25 Deposit[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]CG Reservations:[/size][/font][/td]
[td]Toll Free: 1-888-530-2267 or Local: 757-566-2133[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][font=georgia][size=14pt]CG Reviews[/size][/font][/td]
[td]9.5/10 /10 Trailer Life
5W Woodalls
Highest rated park in Virginia
One of the 100 Top-Rated Good Sam & Woodall Parks for 2011
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[img width=640 height=426]http://pancakeoftheweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/opsail.jpg[/img]

[table]
[tr]
[td]Member[/td]
[td]Dates[/td]
[td]Attending[/td]
[td]Potluck[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]JoeCamper[/td]
[td]Tues 6/18-Sun 6/23[/td]
[td]2Adts, 1Teen (15), 1K9[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][s]samebutdifferent[/s][/td]
[td]Tues 6/18-Sun 6/23[/td]
[td]2Adts 2Chd (10,4), 1k9[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]TMMull[/td]
[td]Wed 6/19-Sun 6/23[/td]
[td]2Adts 1Chds (16)[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]CANTget RIGHT[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]5 Adts 1 Chd[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][s]Dave S[/s][/td]
[td]Wed 6/19 - Sun 6/23[/td]
[td]2 Adts 1Chd 1K9[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][s]BigDawgGang[/s][/td]
[td][/td]
[td]2 Adts 2Chd[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Guitarman[/td]
[td]Mon 6/17 - Sun 6/23[/td]
[td]2 Adts[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][s]CoyoteCamper[/s][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td][s]mtn_bikers[/s][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[img width=495 height=640]http://www.americanheritagervpark.com/img/AMHeritage_2012SITEMAP.jpg[/img]

[hr]
original post
I am thinking about putting together a trip to Williamsburg, VA. There is a lot of neat things in that area. There is Bush Gardens, Water Country USA, Historic Williamsburg.

Would anybody be interested in this trip? I am thinking sometime in August 2012. Since it would be a long drive for some of us, maybe a Thursday - Sunday.

Open to campground suggestions and any other suggestions you may have.

357 Posts
(Offline)
November 7, 2011 - 4:24 pm
Print

We'd definitely be interested, It's only a couple of hour drive for us.  The only camp ground we have experience with in that area is Chippokes Plantation State Park. The state park is located across the river from Williamsburg and is a short (free) ferry ride away.

333 Posts
(Offline)
November 7, 2011 - 6:07 pm
Print

Also nearby is Jamestown, Yorktown and probably several other historic locations I should probably be aware of. 

As far as campgrounds go:

Chippokes Plantation State Park

[li]http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/chi.shtml[/li]
    [li]Pros: Medium sized campground.  Lots of shade in the "A" loop with slighly less level sites (but still good for campers), "B" loop is more RV friendly with level, paved sites.  Pool, fishing, boating, trails and horses.  Working plantation with museum.  A number of Geocaches within the park.  Plenty to do even if you're not interested in going over the river to hit the attractions.  Water and Electric at every site.[/li]
    [li]Cons:  You have to take the ferry to get over to Williamsburg.  You reservation is for a site in one loop or the other.  You pick your site when you get there, however, someone who's there early can check everyone else in to get sites together if they know the reservation numbers.[/li]
    [li]Overall:  We really like this park and have been there probably a half-dozen times, both as an overnighter for Busch Gardens, Jamestown, and Williamsburg as well as just to stay at the park.[/li]

Outdoor World Williamsburg (Private)

[li]http://www.thousandtrails.com/getaways/virginia/williamsburg.asp[/li]
    [li]Pros: Very close to Bush Gardens (13mi) and Colonial Williamsburg (10mi).  Most sites seemed fairly shady.  Has a pool and other amenities which we didn't make too much use of since we were just using it as a place to overnight so we could hit Busch Gardens and Water Country.[/li]
    [li]Cons: Sites were a little tight, with little or no vegetation between them, but we didn't feel like we were crammed in. The only real problem for us was the fact that it was too close to I-64. The A/C in our HTT just barely drowned it out until some big rig decided to engine brake or a loud motorcycle cruised by. Some of the sites on the other side of the campground would likely be better, since we could actually see the vehicles on I-64 from our site (#21).[/li]
    [li]Overall: Hard to say how this place would welcome us during the busy season.  With the sites being fairly tight, we may not have a good place for a gathering site.  There's also a number of seasonal sites, and we didn't really interact with any of them to see if they were friendly to the short-timers.[/li]

I've heard of two other nearby campgrounds, one is Newport News Park, or something close to that.  The big drawback to it is it's *only* a campground.  There's not even a playground for the kids, however it's nearby all of the big attractions.  I'm not sure of the name of the other one, but I'll do some research.

My Williamsburg map (I'll update it as new information comes in):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202479702252007212857.0004b12ce18d9f1207a8f&msa=0&ll=37.266403,-76.628265&spn=0.309837,0.714798
[code]http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202479702252007212857.0004b12ce18d9f1207a8f&msa=0&ll=37.266403,-76.628265&spn=0.309837,0.714798[/code]

29 Posts
(Offline)
November 8, 2011 - 8:50 am
Print

Thanks for the campgrounds! I will look into them and see what they are like.

333 Posts
(Offline)
November 8, 2011 - 5:18 pm
Print

I added a few others to the map, weeding out the ones that were closed or got horrible reviews.  Use the link and open it up in another window if you want to see the details of anything.

29 Posts
(Offline)
November 9, 2011 - 6:40 pm
Print

There is not much going on in the way of big events in August 2012. So we don't have to worry about any extra crowds. Does anybody have any thoughts on when would be a good time for this trip?

This would be a great end of summer trip for the whole family!

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
December 22, 2011 - 8:55 am
Print

Williamsburg would be a great trip for the family, hope we can fit it in the schedule.

83 Posts
(Offline)
December 23, 2011 - 7:45 am
Print

I'm an OW member, so do utilize that park.  The 'E' Section is more wooded, away from amenities and I-64 noise.  Still have a bit of train noise though.  Indoor pool is very nice.

American Heritage campground is very close (same exit off 64) and highly recommended by many on RV Park Reviews. 

29 Posts
(Offline)
December 23, 2011 - 1:03 pm
Print

I just heard back From Chippokes Plantation State Park. They have GREAT rates, $30 per sight per night. All sight have water and electric. The "B" loop allows pets and has a group area that we can reserve for the community fire.

I haven't heard from Outdoor World or American Heritage yet. But I think Chippokes Plantation is the best choice. I have read a lot of good things about it, and its at a good location and it is a really nice campground.

357 Posts
(Offline)
December 23, 2011 - 9:32 pm
Print

[quote author=CoyoteCamper link=topic=1222.msg9955#msg9955 date=1324663425]
I haven't heard from Outdoor World or American Heritage yet. But I think Chippokes Plantation is the best choice. I have read a lot of good things about it, and its at a good location and it is a really nice campground.

We like Chippokes  🙂

December 23, 2011 - 10:00 pm
Print

This may be possible, have to wait and see if I get my vacation picks in August.. won't know this for a few weeks though ...  If I get the time off and it happens to fall during the time you'll be there, we might drive down for a couple days .. 

56 Posts
(Offline)
December 24, 2011 - 10:44 am
Print

We have stayed at KOA Williamsburg and Chippokes. We LOVE Chippokes!!! It is one of our faveoite parks we have stayed at. We go down in the fall everyear for our fall trip. KOA they pack you in like sardines. here is a link to all the pics of the sites at Chippokes.
http://www.campsitephotos.com/.....State-Park the pics where taken at another Rally!!!!! My site it the pop-up with the black dodge ram.

29 Posts
(Offline)
January 5, 2012 - 2:35 pm
Print

I hope everyone had a good holiday and a happy new year!

I just heard back from Outdoor World. The 2012 rates are $47 dollars a night. Each site includes the usual picnic table, water and electric.

So I think it comes down to Chippokes Plantation and Outdoor world. Since it is going to be a bit of a drive for some of us, I think the Chippokes it the better choice since it is really nice and there is a lot to do at the campground. All in addition to being close to Historic Williamsburg, Bush Gardens, Water Country USA, etc.

What are your thoughts on one of the two campgrounds? What about dates? I was thinking mid month. Like August 16-19?

357 Posts
(Offline)
January 5, 2012 - 3:22 pm
Print

We vote for Chippokes "B" loop. We've been there and we like it.

29 Posts
(Offline)
January 15, 2012 - 4:43 pm
Print

Since Niagara Falls is this year's big trip, I think we are going to work out Williamsburg as next year's big rally.

138 Posts
(Offline)
January 30, 2012 - 1:40 pm
Print

We'd be interested too.  We were going to stay down there last spring but Eilean's back injury kept us from going.  Only about 2 1/2 hours from us.

56 Posts
(Offline)
January 30, 2012 - 9:02 pm
Print

Let me know when you going down to Chippoekes i am only 35 mins away and love camping there. One of my Favorite State Parks in Virginia!!!!!!!! "B" loop are paved sites and open not alot brush to block your neighboors. "A" loop is the older more shaded but sites are more unlevel than "b" but its what you like here are a few pics of "A" and "B".

[Image Can Not Be Found]
"B" Loop

[Image Can Not Be Found]
"A"Loop

Eastern Pennsylvania
3875 Posts
(Offline)
July 25, 2012 - 6:53 pm
Print

Mark you calendars, we are planning this summer rally for Tuesday June 18th thur Sunday June 23rd, 2013.  Additional details coming soon!
This will be our big rally rally for next year.  The dates are being scheduled around father's day and end of school but as early as possible before the heat.

56 Posts
(Offline)
July 25, 2012 - 10:03 pm
Print

sounds good keep me posted!!!!!!!!!

357 Posts
(Offline)
July 25, 2012 - 10:25 pm
Print

The 19th is our 20 year anniversary. If we're not on a boat in the Caribbean, we'll be at Chippokes!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2