Skip to content
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
April 15-17 2011, Hickory Run SP, PA (Trout Season)
230 Posts
(Offline)
April 12, 2011 - 7:30 pm
Print

Camping stuff is set to go, now I have to work on the fishing stuff and what food to bring.  Anybody have any special requests?

253 Posts
(Offline)
April 13, 2011 - 10:09 pm
Print

I bailed out and lost $10!  I wasn't planning on setting it up dry, rain all day Sat, and wet Sunday.
I'm heading over there 4/29 to 05/1.  Every few trout openers up here are awesome.  I'm a Monroe County lifer, and seen colder wet days win over the epic warm ones.  I can fish the Broadhead whenever or just cast away in the Delaware State Forest.  I pup to get away from the onslaught of touristas and give my mega commuting a$$ a break! 

2545 Posts
(Offline)
April 13, 2011 - 10:22 pm
Print

Enjoy the fishing.  Maybe next year I will join you. 

I will be at the Englishtown car show and swap meet in NJ.  My Dad, Brother, Cousin, and bro-in-law have been selling stuff there for the past 10 years.  Dad passed away last year so we have been liquidating the "inventory"  This is the last bit of stuff we have, I'm giving up my spots. 

I'd rather go camping or fishing.....My boat never even made it out of the back yard last year  :'(  At least I did go camping a few times  :crazydance:

Matt O 2006 Skyline Nomad 27' travel trailer.  Previously owned 1986 Coleman Columbia / 1992 Coleman Senecca / 1989 Born Free Class C RV.

253 Posts
(Offline)
April 13, 2011 - 10:26 pm
Print

I have the pup popped all week getting drenched.  Hopefully it dries up by Friday.  I'll fish rain or shine but pupping it again like the pic we posted earlier is not a fun weekend at all.

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
April 14, 2011 - 7:15 am
Print

Sorry you won't make it but I don't blame you.  We are still going, figuring many people won't be out because of the forecast.

253 Posts
(Offline)
April 16, 2011 - 11:00 pm
Print

It has been raining cats and dogs for the past 13 hours.    I'm glad I backed out this year.  Last year was 10 times worse.

192 Posts
(Offline)
April 17, 2011 - 8:58 am
Print

cold and rainy, man I am not sad I missed this trip!  All though a good roaring fire and a EZ UP have saved many a trip like I imagine this one is.

230 Posts
(Offline)
April 17, 2011 - 8:24 pm
Print

We actually had a pretty nice time.  Yes it poured HEAVILY most of the day Saturday, and the wind blew ridiculously hard Saturday night.  But we did manage a nice campfire Friday night, some great food, a little fishing (Joe R. wins the die-hard award for fishing in the sideways driving wind and rain and producing good results) and Joecamper and I even won a shuffle board game over some seasoned pros at the local bar.

With the breeze Sunday morning everything was dried out to pack up for the trip home.  All in all a nice weekend camping.

182 Posts
(Offline)
April 17, 2011 - 9:26 pm
Print

didnt make this trip but we did camp and the rain and wind was wild , boy i love camping

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
April 18, 2011 - 11:22 am
Print

All in all, it was a great camping weekend.  Friday was beautiful, sweatshirt around the campfire.
Saturday morning was breezy and almost 40 degrees at 7am.  Started raining just after 12 noon.  Heavy rain, high wind into the evening.  My 12' kayak blow 10' away.  (High wind gizmos worked great)  Sunday was in the mid 40s and sunny.

It was must better then being at work.

333 Posts
(Offline)
April 18, 2011 - 9:49 pm
Print

I'm glad to hear the fishing was good.

Unfortunately, it just wasn't our weekend this time around -- mostly just a comedy of errors.  We weren't there for the fishing, rather the hiking, geocaching and boulder field, since the park looked great for all three.  We got up there too late on Friday to enjoy the really nice weather, and were exhausted and ready to crash by the time we got the camper set up.  We must have not been factoring in the wind when we decided on jackets, since the ones we brought were too light.  We stayed inside most of the weekend, except when we went to check out Boulder Field on Sunday, but that's when we discovered that we underestimated the wind.

Three added bits of fun to make the trip that much more interesting for us, first, the site was just unlevel enough side-to-side that we used up all of our lynx levelers and it still wasn't totally level.  I think one more layer would have done it.  Or if we had two BAL levelers, since we now have a tandem axle.  Second, the water pump on our (brand new) camper is dead.  I discovered that on Saturday morning before the rain started.  It has power, and it twitches when you turn it on, so I think it's frozen/bound up inside.  So, we made do with filling the commode with a pitcher after each use.  Third, we have a small leak in the front bunk on the overhead seam where the tent meets the body of the trailer.  So, on that front, it was productive to test the new HTT out in adverse conditions.

Marcy and I have decided we'll try Hickory Run again at some point.  We're thinking it might be a nice place during the summer, with the beach on one of the lakes for the kids to play in the water, along side the hiking and geocaching.

On a positive note, the new cabinet door catches I installed the weekend before worked perfectly.  The only doors/drawers that opened up had the original catches on them. 

447 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2011 - 10:04 am
Print

Glad to hear you've solved your cabinet door problem.

As for your pump, does it actually run/hum  & not pump water? or does it cut out right away? If it's got power & just not pumping water, perhaps the antifreeze intake valve is still in place from winterizing?  I forgot to close mine when trying to run water through the system the 1st time this yr.  :-[

333 Posts
(Offline)
April 19, 2011 - 12:02 pm
Print

The pump doesn't run at all.  It merely twitches when you turn it on.  My best guess is that the diaphragm has a leak and allowed water into the area behind it and caused the bearings to freeze (rust) up. 

These were the new catches that were recommended by the local RV place:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31713SIZ%2BXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Eastern Pennsylvania
3876 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2011 - 9:46 pm
Print

Here are photos from the rainy Hickory Run weekend.

https://canvascampers.com/inde.....lbum;in=35

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0