Forum Login
Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Southeast Fall Rally - Sept 2013 - McKinney CG
1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 6, 2013 - 10:46 pm
Print

Fire Captain Jim and all, have a great time in Hiawassee. If it weren't for a multi-birthday weekend for DH and 3 grandsons (including the twins' first birthday and our older DGS's 18th!), we would be there too.

394 Posts
(Offline)
May 7, 2013 - 9:40 am
Print

Thank you Judy! You know family comes second on the priorities with the good Lord being First! It's okay that your not with us but we understand! I am sure there will come other opportunities in the future! Just don't jinks us in the future with the rain.  :lmao:
If others is interested, come on, we will be glad to have you'uns!

175 Posts
(Offline)
May 7, 2013 - 8:28 pm
Print

I wish we could make it this weekend, but we have some important stuff to do.  I don't think there are many things more important than camping, but all of the rain has put us behind on life's responsibilities.  I hope you all have a great time and happy anniversaries.
Judy, I'm thinking about trying a squirrel casserole in the D.O. and I need a taste tester.  Are you up for it? 

485 Posts
(Offline)
May 7, 2013 - 9:12 pm
Print

[quote author=Jarhead71 link=topic=2380.msg23463#msg23463 date=1367972916]
Judy, I'm thinking about trying a squirrel casserole in the D.O. and I need a taste tester.  Are you up for it?

I am your man for the job! I love squirrel!!!! :camperkid:

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 7, 2013 - 10:09 pm
Print

Thanks, but I think I will defer to Miles! I've got some squirrels I could ask to join us because I've about had it with their antics on raiding my bird feeders! ::)

114 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 8:54 am
Print

Jarhead71,  I just used my DO the first time at the Spring rally.  I made a peach cobbler that turned out "OK" and a lasagna that was AWESOME!!!.  I too any looking forward to making MtnKube's Cherry Chocolate Cake!!!  I have all the ingredients and will be attempting it next weekend.  Athread's family and some other friends are going to go camping at Mtn. Lakes Resort just north of Cleveland and I will have a captive audience to taste it!!  I hope it turns out half as good as MtnKube's!!!!

My only advise is to watch your temp!!!  My biggest fear was burning up my cobbler so I made sure to rotate the oven every 15 minutes!!!  There is lots of information out on the internet and tons of videos on Youtube of folks actually cooking so you can see it in action!! I learned a lot by just watching others!!  I have a long way to go to being good at it but I am loving the challenge!!!

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 3:50 pm
Print

But, Melinda, if you are DOing squirrel, remember to remove that tail first!

175 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 9:06 pm
Print

I was being kind of serious.  I think I still have 3 or 4 squirrels in the freezer.  I found this on YouTube Saturday.  Only problem with this recipe is that between what they're drinking and what they are putting in the DO, I don't think I would have enough beer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....p192nrUauM

485 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 9:52 pm
Print

I say cook it and don't tell anybody. ?Then after its all gone and everyone is raving about the dish, BAM hit them with the secret. Just kidding, I have never kept what I was cooking a secret  ::).

394 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 10:10 pm
Print

Darrel, I have never been a big fan of the furry tail Rat! But that looked pretty good! Try it and let us know how it turned out!  😉

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 8, 2013 - 10:23 pm
Print

[quote author=Fire Captain Jim link=topic=2380.msg23505#msg23505 date=1368065451]
Darrel, I have never been a big fan of the furry tail Rat! But that looked pretty good! Try it and let us know how it turned out!  😉

Which is why I told Melinda to remove the tail!! That way you can say it's RABBIT -- tastes like chicken. (OMG, I'm going to have nightmares tonight! :P)

114 Posts
(Offline)
May 9, 2013 - 11:52 am
Print

I am from South GA and actually ate squirrel growing up as well as rabbit.  Haven't had it in about 30 years and not sure that I want to bring that particular food back into my diet.  That being said I am usually "game" to try anything once and if I ate it before I would try it again for old time sake!!!  And Judy, yes I agree with removing the tail!!!  Just something about seeing a squirrel tail in the pot might make it a little less palatable!!!

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 13, 2013 - 3:37 pm
Print

On the loca news (I think it was Friday), there was a video of how high the water was at McKinney CG at Lake Allatoona. It was into the sites by the picnic tables and grills! No wonder BoomJammer (Jason and family) got a call from the ranger cancelling their weekend resevations!

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 13, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Print

On the local news (I think it was Friday), there was a video of how high the water was at McKinney CG at Lake Allatoona. It was into the sites by the picnic tables and grills! No wonder BoomJammer (Jason and family) got a call from the ranger cancelling their weekend reservations!

(Some days I have to pound on the keyboard to make the keys "stick." This re-do has the appropriate keystrokes! 😮

175 Posts
(Offline)
May 13, 2013 - 9:27 pm
Print

I will have to give the rodent recipe a try.  Last fall, my crazy BIL and I were burning leaves and he had a brainstorm.  We put 4 thawed squirrels in heavy aluminum foil with peppers, onions and beer down in the burning leaves and left them for about an hour.  Probably the best squirrel that I have ever had.  Miles, that would be funny, but some people wouldn't laugh.  I would never put "the other kind of meat" out and not tell.  I want to be a DO amateur and I need testers.  Mwownby, I will let you know how it turns out. 
Judy, I always take the tails off.  Becky is making me a hat with them.  :camperkid:

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 13, 2013 - 10:22 pm
Print

^ :jig:

235 Posts
(Offline)
May 14, 2013 - 7:51 am
Print

On the don't tell/tale part of this.... I guess I did a terrible thing many years.  At the place where I worked, there was one supervisor who NEVER brought a lunch for our 30 minute break.  It was her habit of checking to see what every one else brought and then ask for a taste or a bite or even a bowl full.  We all got a bit tired of it. My aunt and uncle were big outdoor persons, and loved to hunt.  Never failed that when I visited them there was always something new cooking.  One Sunday, Aunt Rosie gave me a ready made plate for my lunch, vension burger and sausage, It was delish.  Anyway, come Monday at lunch here comes the supervisor, checking out every ones lunch and she spied mine. So she asked if she could have some, of course I had more than I could eat so I shared. Wish I had a camera to keep that priceless look on her face after she finished her and my lunch, THEN she asked what it was!  "Bambi", I said.  She never again asked for my lunch! :thumbsup:

117 Posts
(Offline)
May 15, 2013 - 12:11 pm
Print

[quote author=GA Judy link=topic=2380.msg23589#msg23589 date=1368482548]
No wonder BoomJammer (Jason and family) got a call from the ranger cancelling their weekend reservations!

??? 

I'm just catching up here.  Did I miss something?  Was I supposed to go camping and didn't know about it?  Judy, maybe you have me confused with someone else? Was there another thread about this that I missed?

117 Posts
(Offline)
May 15, 2013 - 12:27 pm
Print

Ah, now I understand:
https://canvascampers.com/inde.....6#msg23526

Case of simple mistaken identity.

1263 Posts
(Offline)
May 15, 2013 - 9:42 pm
Print

You're right, Jason. I actually had put mariettamodern in there and went back in to edit thinking it wasn't Andy but you guys! Bummer anyway with the flooding and cancelled weekend plans. Hope you are all well.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators: CampingPhil, JoeCamper
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 70
Topics: 3701

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 2690
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2